Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Ack. Well, I agree with you. I just didn't explain my reasoning very well. The gist was that I don't need a special occasion to open a special bottle.
    I agree with your reasoning completely. I don't see the point of waiting for some special life event to open a major bottle. The day you open one, THAT is the event. I opened my ORVW decanter set on a Wednesday afternoon I think, right before I went to the post office, no shit. I rarely drink anything during the day, but I figured "I have this" and I had an open PVW 23 so I had very small pours of each to give a good comparison.

Connoisseur

You cracked open your ORVW decanter, wheatfield? On a Wednesday? Good on you!
    Last edited by LostBottle; 04-03-2013 at 22:16.

Enthusiast

My grail bottle was the PVW20, and I've only ever seen one of them in the flesh, the one I bought. Found it in Phoenix, AZ, about 1,400 miles away from home, and no price gouging. I paid $84 + tax, about three years ago. As soon as I got home, I called my drinkin' buddy over to share it with me. We had a couple ounces apiece, then corked it up. Every time he came over we shared a dram. I made it last a good long time.

For me, the reality exceeded the expectation. It was truly fantastic, the best $90 I ever spent on myself. And the sharing of it was a big part of MY enjoyment of it. Don't set up too many rules, just enjoy your whiskey-- that's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    You cracked open your ORVW decanter, wheatfield? On a Wednesday? Good on you!
    I did! It was a middle week afternoon...kind of embarrassing in a way. I put up some pretty bad notes, I have to update those. John Hansell's review of that bottle from Whiskey Advocate is amazingly insightful.

Disciple

We will be building our home later this year and after all the fights and stress,you bet your ass I will be opening something well deserved!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

I'm not much of a hoarder and generally have a pretty low threshold for opening a special bottle up, but I just can't bring myself to open up the AH Hirsch just yet. I don't know when it will be, maybe, like wheatfield, it will be a Wednesday before going to the post office. But its not today, and probably not tomorrow.

Taster

I wouldn't say that I collect, but I buy faster than I drink, so I do seem to have a collection. I got to the point of having too many open bottles, so some time in the last year I put a moratorium on opening new bottles while I try to polish off some of the open ones. The only exception I've really made has been when I needed to open one because I wanted to write a blog post about it. Some of the more special ones I'm sitting on include:

EH Taylor Warehouse C Tornado Surviving
    Van Winkle 12yr
    Bruichladdich Legacy 33 yr
    Glen Garioch Small Batch, distilled 1994 (last year before they switched to unpeated malt) bottled 2011
    Kilchoman Sherry Cask Release (bought at the distillery)
    2012 Springbank Whisky School graduation bottle

I don't usually open bottles for special occasions, but that last one I might crack open on May 4th - the one year anniversary of completing the Springbank Whisky School.

Advanced Taster

For me, bottles get opened when a visitor wants to try them. A Detroit member's words stick in my mind. When I asked him if a particular bottle was open, he responded "Do you want it to be?"

(Go Green, my brother.)
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 04-04-2013 at 15:47.
    -Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post
    For me, bottles get opened when a visitor wants to try them. A Detroit member's words stick in my mind. When I asked him if a particular bottle was open, he responded "Do you want it to be?"

(Go Green, my brother.)
    Green went, this weekend it's Go Blue!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    Green went, this weekend it's Go Blue!
    Go blue indeed!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2