Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: The Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch 14 Years Old - anyone tried this

I like the Balvenie line, particularly the Founder's Reserve, but am not tempted by this finished version. Sometimes something extra is just a little too much.

Enthusiast

Re: The Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch 14 Years Old - anyone tried this

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I like the Balvenie line, particularly the Founder's Reserve, but am not tempted by this finished version. Sometimes something extra is just a little too much.
    I assume your talking about the 10 year, Is that still available? I've never seen it on a store shelf or available from my normal online sources. Just curious as it's one of the few "regular" expressions from Balvenie I have not tried.

Guru

Yes MD, the 10 year old, don't know if it's still available. A friend and I used to regularly split a case but I haven't bought any in about 10 years or so.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Solid malt,not great but an easy laid back pour for sure.I would recommend this dram to an entry level scotch drinker as it is not overly challenging and quite smooth.Balvenie makes some great malts for sure like the PW21 yr. and Tun,this is not Balvenie at the top of their game IMHO.
    I would agree with this one. It's good, but probably a tad expensive and not their best.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I assume your talking about the 10 year, Is that still available? I've never seen it on a store shelf or available from my normal online sources. Just curious as it's one of the few "regular" expressions from Balvenie I have not tried.
    The Founder's Reserve is no longer produced,with a little searching some may still be had.I recently found several of these at $29 and bought the 3 left on the shelf,if you see it buy it.The Balvenie FR is one of the great values in malts IMHO.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

I found a few places with it but they are across the country and local purchase only, I'll have to keep my eyes open for a bottle. I know it's rather limited and more "simple" in taste but Balvenie continues to be one of my favorite family of scotches... I just can't seem to get enough.

Balvenie 12 Signature is the successor to the Founder's Reserve. The only problem with it is it's the same price as the Caribbean Cask.

I recently got a Chieftan's indy Isle of Jura that was finished in a rum cask. The rum sweetness actually plays well with the island character. Sort of sweet and salty in my opinion.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    Balvenie 12 Signature is the successor to the Founder's Reserve. The only problem with it is it's the same price as the Caribbean Cask.

I recently got a Chieftan's indy Isle of Jura that was finished in a rum cask. The rum sweetness actually plays well with the island character. Sort of sweet and salty in my opinion.
    Will have to look for that one.

Any Balvenie is a great single malt, and I think that the 14 year old Caribbean Cask is a great buy. A couple of month ago I did a blog on this single malt: Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by singlemaltscott View Post
    A couple of month ago I did a blog on this single malt: Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt
    Interesting first post.
    First impression is that your "blog" is a rehash of industry press releases ...
    Did you actually buy a bottle and drink any of it?