Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels

Hey guys, What you do you know about these KSB's? J.T.S.Bown, & T.W.Samuels? I seen both of them today at a place that said .. "You won't find these anywhere else". Bottom shelf, Almost sprung but they were really cheap, and sometimes that scares me, however the bottom of the bottles said '08.Just wondering? Taste?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

Re: J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels

Standard Heaven Hill BIBs under different labels. How cheap were they?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I don't remember exactly, but at the time I thought cheap,I believe cheaper than the EWb @ $13.99 ? Taste?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Standard Heaven Hill BIBs under different labels. How cheap were they?
    I think they were only 80 proof. The reason I ask is because I see the whiskey tree says it's the same mashbill as the EC12 , which I like alot, which I also noted that the WT , and RR are the same, funny because I have those and really didn't connect between them.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    I think they were only 80 proof. The reason I ask is because I see the whiskey tree says it's the same mashbill as the EC12 , which I like alot, which I also noted that the WT , and RR are the same, funny because I have those and really didn't connect between them.
    I dont think mashbill is as important as it's made out to be. Ive had several whiskeys that were only different in their proof points, yet tasted more like different lines altogether than just different proof levels....OGD 100 and 114 being my favorite example

Guru

Don, Heaven Hill uses the same mash bill for all their Bourbon no matter what the label. There are differences of course, age, proof and where aged in the warehouse being the principal influences, but there is a wide variance in flavors.

Heaven Hill has a lot of bottom shelf labels bottled at 80 proof and I wouldn't look to any of them for a new taste experience as they are for the most part unremarkable mixers. If you need a cheap mixer get them, I would.

Enthusiast

Never looking for a cheap mixer, I collect whisky for the taste,and like to be able to taste as many as I can in my lifetime,whether they be top , middle lower,.. Excellent, good, fair or not as good, (never had a bad one yet), but it has come to my attention that nowadays you pretty much get what you pay for... sad but true.. I guess I was looking at the age of them being from 2008, kind of relates to my old vs. new thread.. this stuff must change over the course of a time. Which fits me as a person, I tend to like the older stuff no matter what it may be.. cars, stereos,street lights,guitars,whisky...etc.etc.So maybe I answered my initial ?.Still like to hear what you guys think.
    Last edited by dSculptor; 02-05-2014 at 18:25.

Guru

You get what you pay for used to be true for Bourbon but alas is no longer. There are NDPs out there that will cheerfully sell ordinary bulk whisky in a fancy bottle for $150.00 and no questions asked. Which is to say they hope you don't ask any.

Connoisseur

Have not tasted the 'Samuels'. JTS Brown on the other hand, is OK..... if its the BIB. Didn't care for the 80-proof.

Advanced Taster

Heaven Hill BIBs like TW and JTS (be sure it's not the 80prf version) are steals. Same for JW Dant.
    Get them while you can. Given how HH White is losing age statement and other producers (Saz) are reducing age on some of their low shelf brands (Benchmark) it may only be a matter of time before juice that used to be TW Samuels or JTS at $13 a bottle needs be diverted to some $45 NDP "exclusive" called Al Capone Reserve or Appalachian Select.
    Mark