Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Big Find - Someone School Me - Opinions accepted

I stopped into a shop today in CA and I found a lot of bottles that I thought were rare and highly rated bottles from what I could recall on reading/researching on this site. I will be honest that I was very overwhelmed trying to remember which bottles are highly rated and which bottles are rare and which are worth picking up on the spot(if at all).

I did pick up a WT rare breed with the original label batch number W-T-03-95 because I knew I would enjoy it.

These following bottles are what caught my eye and this wasn't even half of what I saw, EDIT: Most are priced $15-20 above retail from what I can recall

2010 WLW
    2010 THH x2
    2009 THH x2
    four roses 2011 LE x3
    four roses mariage (cant remember, 2008 I think)
    four roses 100th anniversary bottle
    Vintage 23 x2
    Vintage 21 x2
    Hirsch Special Reserve American Whiskey 20 year
    Willet Bourbon (every single barrel year x10 or more each)
    Parkers Heritage 27 year
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbons (unknown years - to many to count)
    Old Fitzgerald 1849 x2
    Elijiah Craig 20 year x4
    and more that I cant remember.

I have researched a lot of these over the past couple months but was surprised to see so many of them in one place. What would your first bottles chosen be. Obviously the one time release bottles will be the hardest to come by again, what would you all have done?
    Last edited by skidfive; 12-14-2012 at 16:00.

Advanced Taster

Re: Someone School Me - Opinions accepted

This thread is completely irrelevant without prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    That is a good point....if these are normal prices....you got a LOT of booze to buy. If the 2010 WLW is $80, it's an instant buy. If it's $180, no.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    its a CA liquor store in an expensive city, its probably all overpriced.

but for you, from what I could recall

WTRB $33 (bought)
    WLW $109
    Handys $100
    4 roses LE $89
    Willets ranged depending on year
    Vintage didnt have price tickets

Its a liquor store, I can most likely talk him down to what I feel comfortable paying especially if i get multiple. I always have luck doing that
    Last edited by skidfive; 12-14-2012 at 15:32.

Connoisseur

These following bottles are what caught my eye and this wasn't even half of what I saw, EDIT: Most are priced $15-20 above retail from what I can recall

2010 WLW
    2010 THH x2
    2009 THH x2
    four roses 2011 LE x3
    four roses mariage (cant remember, 2008 I think)
    four roses 100th anniversary bottle
    Vintage 23 x2
    Vintage 21 x2
    Hirsch Special Reserve American Whiskey 20 year
    Willet Bourbon (every single barrel year x10 or more each)
    Parkers Heritage 27 year
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbons (unknown years - to many to count)
    Old Fitzgerald 1849 x2
    Elijiah Craig 20 year x4
    and more that I cant remember.

I have researched a lot of these over the past couple months but was surprised to see so many of them in one place. What would your first bottles chosen be. Obviously the one time release bottles will be the hardest to come by again, what would you all have done?[/QUOTE]
    The only one I would not buy (at any price) would be the OF 1849. With that said, I'm not inclined to pay more than retail for anything. There are just too many attractive alternatives out there. N.B. I am not inclined to chase all over hell's half acre to find a Pappy or even a Stagg. Repeat that " too many attractive alternatives" statement.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    The only one I would not buy (at any price) would be the OF 1849. With that said, I'm not inclined to pay more than retail for anything. There are just too many attractive alternatives out there. N.B. I am not inclined to chase all over hell's half acre to find a Pappy or even a Stagg. Repeat that " too many attractive alternatives" statement.
    thank you for your input on the 1849. I can probably get him to retail on most also, I usually have good luck with that

Guru

Depends on how much you want to spend Skid, your budget constraints, and what you like of course. I would only be interested in the Birthday Bourbons and the 1849 (depending on whether they are recent bottlings and if so, no), the rest I would leave for those who wish to pay a premium on top of what is an already overpriced product.

Someone School Me - Opinions accepted

Buy the weller if you can not find elsewhere

Disciple

I got schooled for a few years back in the early 60's when the nuns had no problem slapping you in the face so here's my gentle slap. Have you been drinking whiskey long enough to really really know what you like? Or maybe you do like different styles but you still have preferences. Even though tasting any whiskey is not life changing, it can still be very complicated and why we love it and resent when people just focus on reviews, ratings or current hysteria. What would be my first bottle chosen is probably something that wouldn't be yours. For instance...Four Roses...can be, in spite of the deserved love, a whiskey some just don't care for. I do a lot of tastings for novices and it has a rye fruit tang to it that some just don't like. Another superb taster here has also noted the Slivovitz factor it has and he doesn't like. Or the THH's...do you really like rye based whiskey? Or do you like a lot of oak in your whiskey? Or char... probably, if you say you know you'll enjoy the Rare Breed. Many of the whiskeys on your list are cask strength and that is a good thing but can also deceive. They can taste quite different when brought to lower proofs. Anything above 107 proof is not for me in the entirety of sipping a full pour and have been disappointed by some that don't hold up well with water.

In the spirit of the season...although it's been said many times, many ways ...learn to trust your own palate. Do your homework by tasting, tasting and more tasting of as many and less expensive whiskeys first and then you can school yourself better than anybody. I respect and pay attention to the professional critics too but damn if I'll ever really know precise differences between an 88 or 96. I also know there are high rated whiskeys, wines and beers I won't waste my hard earned money on.

And now that I'm getting down from the ...Always go with the Weller...or maybe the 4Rs or the PHC or... .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I got schooled for a few years back in the early 60's when the nuns had no problem slapping you in the face so here's my gentle slap. Have you been drinking whiskey long enough to really really know what you like? Or maybe you do like different styles but you still have preferences. Even though tasting any whiskey is not life changing, it can still be very complicated and why we love it and resent when people just focus on reviews, ratings or current hysteria. What would be my first bottle chosen is probably something that wouldn't be yours. For instance...Four Roses...can be, in spite of the deserved love, a whiskey some just don't care for. I do a lot of tastings for novices and it has a rye fruit tang to it that some just don't like. Another superb taster here has also noted the Slivovitz factor it has and he doesn't like. Or the THH's...do you really like rye based whiskey? Or do you like a lot of oak in your whiskey? Or char... probably, if you say you know you'll enjoy the Rare Breed. Many of the whiskeys on your list are cask strength and that is a good thing but can also deceive. They can taste quite different when brought to lower proofs. Anything above 107 proof is not for me in the entirety of sipping a full pour and have been disappointed by some that don't hold up well with water.

In the spirit of the season...although it's been said many times, many ways ...learn to trust your own palate. Do your homework by tasting, tasting and more tasting of as many and less expensive whiskeys first and then you can school yourself better than anybody. I respect and pay attention to the professional critics too but damn if I'll ever really know precise differences between an 88 or 96. I also know there are high rated whiskeys, wines and beers I won't waste my hard earned money on.

And now that I'm getting down from the ...Always go with the Weller...or maybe the 4Rs or the PHC or... .

Admittedly I am still developing the specifics in flavors. My preference for bourbons has always been wild turkey. I definitely prefer ryes over wheaters but for the last week have been on a weller 12 kick. I do enjoy the Thomas H Handy 2011 and 2012 that I have open and as well as the 2012 Stagg. I have also had pvw 15, lot B, and 10/107 as wheaters and have enjoyed all thoroughly. Im not nearly talented enough yet to describe in words what I taste in each one but I do know what I like and what I enjoy.

My point of this thread was not so much as what to buy as what is rare and not seen often (although I know it came off that way). As I progress in my venture through bourbons/ryes/whiskey I do not want to think back at a bottle that I saw on the shelf that would have been worth picking up. I do have some expendable income at this moment which is why I have been purchasing a lot more and finally signed up to these forums.

Thanks for the input definitely and just more reason to buy more and taste more.
    Last edited by skidfive; 12-14-2012 at 21:45.