Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Someone School Me - Opinions accepted

I would just like to stumble into a place that offered those kind of choices on one shelf! I would be broke but happy!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Since you're just asking for a opinion, I''ll spare the commentary and give you what I would jump at.

The Parkers, FR Mariage, Vintage 21 then 23, and the WLW.

These would get first booking, then maybe in moments of weakness I would pick off the rest over time if the store was convenient to get to.

Sweet finds, BTW

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

The ones you will regret leaving are the ones you love to drink and are no longer available. Unless you find a very well stocked bar where you can buy by the drink there is only one way to discover which of those you love.

Guru

Quite true Sailor, people say it's never too late, how wrong they are.

Enthusiast

I would ignore all the pm's you probably get from SoCal members and tell me where there shop is and then when I drive down there for xmas I will buy the bottles I want and pour you some...

But really I know it can be overwhelming when that happens, I ran into a store with lots of cool bottles, really good/rare ones were marked up, but I found a lot of other bottles well under local retail prices. A lot of those kind of places seem to put a price tag on something when it comes in and never change it even as it becomes more rare over time.

I have trouble leaving behind something I likely won't find ever again, but only to a point when it comes to pricing. Go with your gut and if you can talk them down, do it. Then after you're done... refer to my first sentence.

Advanced Taster

I agree. When faced with a decision of the 09 mirage and the 09 handy I went with the handy, because I enjoy my 11 and do not have any four roses bottles yet (other then the yellow label). Picked up the 10 WLW too.

Other then that, the guy isnt willing to change prices, but thats understandable being his location.

Anyway, found a couple other items in there, he had 2 rittenhouse rye 23 year in the wooden sleeve. Also on the 2011 LE 4 roses he had both the single barrel and small batch.

Enthusiast

Someone School Me - Opinions accepted

The '09 Mariage is one of the finest bourbons I've tasted. Handy is available year round if you look hard enough but that Mariage is a one time gem. I'd go back for it and tuck it away somewhere for the right day.
    Ryan

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nivto View Post
    The '09 Mariage is one of the finest bourbons I've tasted. Handy is available year round if you look hard enough but that Mariage is a one time gem. I'd go back for it and tuck it away somewhere for the right day.
    Man, you are the third or so person to say that. Now I am going to have to do that, I just stuck with what I knew I would like, but apparently this is the one to get. Whats another $100
    Last edited by skidfive; 12-15-2012 at 18:00.

Connoisseur

I'd get the 100th anniversary 4 roses, then the following in this order until the credit card ran out:

Mariage
    PHC
    Vintage 21
    4R 2011 LE
    OFBB

and let the rest sit until I recharged.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Enthusiast

I was in a similar situation, I was in a store here in NY buying the PHC 2012 for a big mark-up, $130 I'm embarrassed to say. When I was waiting to check out, I saw a glass case in the back of the store that had FR 100th, 40th, Mariage and other LE's. And some of the older Parker releases and probably one or more of those high end WT releases like AS or Tradition. I didn't bother asking I just overpaid for the PHC 2012 and left. Maybe if I win the lottery, or on my next birthday I'll head back to that store. Until then I'm happy with the normal stuff.

oh yeah, there was a Hirsch too. A. H. Hirsch.... 16. I think they want at least $600 for it. Still waiting for that winning lotto ticket.