Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Hello from Chicago

Hey SBers. It's good to finally be a member. I'd like to thank everyone for all the wonderful information that's been provided and will continue to be provided on this site. For a relative newcomer to the whiskey scene, it's great to have such a rich source of knowledge to simplify my education.

Since I've only just arrived to SB, I was curious if any other Chicago-area members would be interested in a get-together after the new year? I would like the chance to meet you all and share a glass or two.

Also, a poll. I've always been curious about the interests of SBers. Are most members purely bourbon fans? American whiskeys? Spirits in general? Cocktails? Alcohol? Liquids? I wonder because I stock (and enjoy) all categories of liquor in my bar and appreciate the art of mixing cocktails as well as sipping them on their own.

Great to be here!

Enthusiast

Re: Hello from Chicago

Welcome to the gang. Enjoy yourself here.

Enthusiast

Welcome from another Chicago newbie. I'd be interested in a get together in the new year. Unfortunately I missed the recent South Loop Binnys gathering which sounded it like was a really fun time.

I'm mostly a fan of bourbon or bourbon/rye-based cocktails but will occasionally have a G&T or something with rum. The Sazerac is my favorite cocktail.

Guru

Morning Alpha, welcome aboard. Yeah, I'll drink pretty much whatever you're pouring.

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard Alpha. I think most members are big whiskey fans and fans of other tasty alcohol beverages as well.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Welcome to the ever-growing Chicago crew. I'm sure another Binny's get-together will roll around again fairly soon, even if it's a "mini" meet-up. You usually don't have to twist arms too hard to get this group interested in a few drinks, so let's see what the new year brings once the holiday dust settles. Where are you in the suburbs anyway?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from over in Michigan.

I am in the camp of enjoying all various kinds of libations.

Best regards, Tony

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Welcome to the ever-growing Chicago crew. I'm sure another Binny's get-together will roll around again fairly soon, even if it's a "mini" meet-up. You usually don't have to twist arms too hard to get this group interested in a few drinks, so let's see what the new year brings once the holiday dust settles. Where are you in the suburbs anyway?
    A Binny's gathering sounds like a great thing. I've been looking forward to seeing the selection of the South Loop Binny's.

I'm forty minutes due West of Chicago. I'm close to the Naperville mega-Binny's which is impressive stuff in and of itself.

It's also good to hear that other members like more than just whiskey. I am a huge fan, but my bar represents all categories (nearly) equally well, and my interest in cocktails is on par with my interest in sipping spirits near.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    A Binny's gathering sounds like a great thing. I've been looking forward to seeing the selection of the South Loop Binny's.
    Possibly the end of March. It's usually a 2 times a year event...more info in this post below and you can find history on all prior gatherings in the Bourbon Social thread:

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The Binny's get togethers, since 2008, are at the South Loop Chicago store because two of our members who work there make it possible. It's a beautiful space which is also used for other Binny's seminars and events. In addition to the space they provide glasses, water and the magic carts of whiskey/whisky along with the special bottles we all bring. It certainly is our own wonderful whiskey fest or gazebo type gathering and from a quick search you can find past stories and photos of the festivities. We'll try to put one together sometime in March, depending on what dates are available from the Binny's boys and also so we have enough time to rest and then start up our marathon training for the Bardstown Sampler weekend at the end of April. Another event everyone should try and attend (not the Sampler itself but the gazebo) and...take the virtual out of your reality here .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Welcome to the site from the opposite side of the state,as all the Chicago group has already said the Binny's get gathering is a must if you want to wet your feet on all that is whisky/whiskey.The SB members will make you feel more than welcome and the staff and service at Binny's is second to none, a true class act.I hope you enjoy your time here and hope to see you at the next gathering,you've got 3-4 months to study up,so get to it.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski