Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

High West - New Bottle Effect

Killed all but the last few oz of a High West Campfire with some good friends, beautiful strangers, and my bitchy ex last night. This one tastes like Christmas to me. I had opened it a couple weeks prior.

However, I have always seemed to get a really pronounced "new bottle effect" from High West products. Every bottle of theirs that I open is mediocre or just plain nasty when I crack it, so I leave it for a week or so and it transforms into the nectar of the gods. When I first opened the Campfire, I was very disappointed at how little it seemed to work together. This has been the case with 2 Rendezvous Ryes, 2 Bouryes, Campfire, and a 16 year. Maybe it's a coincidence that my palette is off, but I was thinking maybe something with the bottle, cork, or sealing process might do it. Or maybe just a little bit of oxidation is needed to kick things into place.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: High West - New Bottle Effect

It's most likely the juice going through molecular changes while it adjusts to a nearly 7,000 foot drop in altitude from Park City to NOLA. Air density changes, as well as the higher gravitational pull seem to have an adverse effect on High West Whiskies. 0 feet altitude may just be too low for it right out of the bottle. From my experience, HW whiskies hit their sweet spot at anywhere from 2,500' to 3,200'. Even here in Atlanta, at ~1,000', it's dang tasty juice, but the same bottle tasted in Macon (~380') tasted like dreck. I'm wondering if they bottled under higher vacuum, if that would help the altitude adjustment period? Or, possibly going to a more squat-shaped bottle?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Ah, whisky with low altitude sickness, now that's one I haven't thought of.

Connoisseur

Perhaps the shift from the largely Mormon demographics of Park City to Catholic/Baptist New Orleans also has an effect?

Now that I think about it, when I was visiting my friend in Instanbul, his bottle of Wild Turkey tasted like it had converted to Islam.

Virtuoso

I dunno, most of them taste pretty good to me here at an elevation of approximately 13'.

Guru

Yeah, whisky tastes good in Florida, I've noticed that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Perhaps the shift from the largely Mormon demographics of Park City to Catholic/Baptist New Orleans also has an effect?

Now that I think about it, when I was visiting my friend in Instanbul, his bottle of Wild Turkey tasted like it had converted to Islam.
    Just wanted to thank you for the good laugh I got out of that.
    -SOB-

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Killed all but the last few oz of a High West Campfire with some good friends, beautiful strangers, and my bitchy ex last night. This one tastes like Christmas to me. I had opened it a couple weeks prior.
    I'm more interested in the bitchy ex and why she's still drinking your whiskey?

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    It's most likely the juice going through molecular changes while it adjusts to a nearly 7,000 foot drop in altitude from Park City to NOLA. Air density changes, as well as the higher gravitational pull seem to have an adverse effect on High West Whiskies. 0 feet altitude may just be too low for it right out of the bottle. From my experience, HW whiskies hit their sweet spot at anywhere from 2,500' to 3,200'. Even here in Atlanta, at ~1,000', it's dang tasty juice, but the same bottle tasted in Macon (~380') tasted like dreck. I'm wondering if they bottled under higher vacuum, if that would help the altitude adjustment period? Or, possibly going to a more squat-shaped bottle?
    But seriously...going the other way from low altitude to high...almost got plunked in the face from the cork on a travel bottle of PVW 15 at 8,500 feet. It was like a champagne bottle.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I'm more interested in the bitchy ex and why she's still drinking your whiskey?

But seriously...going the other way from low altitude to high...almost got plunked in the face from the cork on a travel bottle of PVW 15 at 8,500 feet. It was like a champagne bottle.
    How was the "thin air" time at altitude on that wheater, Thad? I would guess that it took longer for the Pappy to go from the normal total crap, to air-time induced chocolate covered cherries and caramel toffed delight?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    How was the "thin air" time at altitude on that wheater, Thad? I would guess that it took longer for the Pappy to go from the normal total crap, to air-time induced chocolate covered cherries and caramel toffed delight?

Actually it's the opposite. Thin air offers less protection from the bourbon changing "germs", next to thin air, regular air is like a bounce house knocking those germ things right back into the atmosphere. Phew
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden