Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 20 year abnormal taste

I should also think that it's highly unlikely that someone (your coworker) would not like PVW20 and want to get rid of it - unless it actually is a funky bottle. If they are familiar with PVW, then they would have known it was off. If they weren't familiar with PVW, then I doubt they would have been in a rush to get rid of something they invested the time/money in finding.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I didn't read the original post thoroughly last night after a few bourbons on the back porch. My guess is that it's not Pappy in the bottle...
    I agree. I would have a talk with the person that sold the OPEN bottle to you. I don't think it is realistic to expect the distillery to replace the bottle for you. I know it sucks to be out of the money, but the buyer should always do their due diligence.

Guru

Is the coworker willing to help with the inquiry?

I am sorry to say that Julian is under no obligation to replace a bottle that was bought already opened.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

I agree they're under no obligation Paul, nor should they be, but they might want to take a look at it.

Novice

I contemplated contacting ORVW but decided against it- after all it is my responsibility to check the product out before buying. I contacted my buddy and he said he bought his father this bottle and did not actually have any. He stated his father who never has had Pappy, did not like it, and knowing that Pappy 20 is my Pappy of choice sold it too me. Since my job is pretty tight knit and I trust my co-worker, I have no reason to doubt the juice was switched. I am bringing a sample to my co worker and having him try it. If he agrees then I will just have him give me my money back and he can deal with it after that. On the bright side I found a Rinttenhouse 25 on the shelf for $175 and a couple of Jefferson Presidential 17 yr for $100.

Guru

Sounds like an equitable solution.

Guru

Yes, about two years ago my son had a very similar bottle. I told him to contact Julian. He didn't. He just threw it out.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Advanced Taster

I had a funky bottle of PVW20 once. What was the bottle code on your bottle?

Advanced Taster

I had a bad bottle of 10 yr 107 ORVW about a year ago and Liquor Barn took it back..No questions asked..