Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

New to SB from the Central Coast of CA

Hello!
    Im relatively new to the world of bourbon but it's fast becoming my drink of choice. I've been a huge craft beer enthusiast with an obsession with big bourbon barrel aged beers. This naturally lead me to try some small batch bourbons and whiskeys. I've been hooked ever since!

I've been focusing on the $20-40 range of bourbons and whiskeys as im still finishing up with school and only working part time. Some of my favorites have been:
    • Buffalo Trace
    • Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002
    • Rittenhouse Rye 100 Bib
    • W.L. Weller 12 year

Any recommendations on what to try next? I'm looking forward to learning more about bourbon and having a community that shares my enthusiasm for this awesome drink!

Cheers!
    Matt

Guru

Re: New to SB from the Central Coast of CA

Hello Matt, welcome aboard. I believe the best way to get grounded in Bourbon Whisky is to start with the basic House styles, which fortunately fall under a $20 price for the most part.

Some examples would be Evan Williams Black label, Beam Black label (the regular one, not the doublewood), Old Grand Dad, Old Forester, Four Roses Yellow label, Weller (for the wheat styles) and compare those with the Buffalo Trace and Rittenhouse you already have. So start drinking and keep posting, we'd like to hear about your journey.

Novice

Re: New to SB from the Central Coast of CA

Being in college, I've gone through my fair share of Evan Williams Black Label and Jim Beam White Label. I enjoyed these but found them to be rather simple and lacking in complexity. It wasn't till I splurged and bought a bottle of Bulleit Rye that I was blown away, about 6 moths ago. It was the first one that I really enjoyed sipping on neat. Since then, Ive gone through many of the bigger and cheaper bourbons like Makers, Wild Turkey etc trying to develop a feel for what bourbons I enjoy. There are still a few like Old Overholt Rye and George Dickel that are on my list to try.

Thank you for the tips!