Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Mellow corn lovers, lend me your ear.

I and a few other folks on here enjoy Mellow Corn. I have been waiting for them to switch over to whiskey produced at HH instead of BF. I picked up a bottle last week, and although the label states different, and I have read they use labels up before switching, I am willing to bet my bottle is HH juice. Has more of that nice HH house flavor. The BF was a little flat I though. This has all cylinders firing. Wonderful stuff. I am told by my whiskey monger Georgia Moon is on back order as well. I like to drink it too, and I noticed a change in its taste about 2 and a half years or so ago. I assume it is HH now as well.

Virtuoso

Re: Mellow corn lovers, lend me your ear.

How does the color compare? The bottle I have open right now is quite dark, relatively speaking, and the flavor is bigger than the one I got last year from the Party Source.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Advanced Taster

Interesting. I'm at the end of my bottle (which I picked up over a year ago). I'll grab a new bottle next time I'm at TPS and post any noticeable differences. I did like the old stuff, but it was a bit more mellow than I wanted.

Virtuoso

That's great news. I like MC quite a bit and if it has improved then all the better. Looking forward to trying the new stuff!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

It can be a bit of a crap shoot regardless of DSP, as they'll fill a variety of used barrels, so even as they do a dump, color and flavor can vary. (Some barrels may have housed EW Black, and some EC12.) I tend to just buy the darkest bottles I can find, and I've found a wide range, sometimes on the same shelf!

All in all, I love me some DSP 354 MC.

Guru

Darkest bottle sounds like good advise.

Connoisseur

quite a bit lighter. Lighter than previous bottles. Mellow corn as always been the medium I think of HH aged corns. JW Corn has just a hint of color, and Dixie Dew is dark as any 5 year old bourbon, but way better. I have been running some malt lately and tasting through some malt that is getting some good age on it. This bottle has a good bit of malt flavor to it. I wonder if HH uses more malt than most. Either way, my bottle must have a hole in it, damn thing went dry a few minutes ago. The MC from pre fire HH is great. I did a lot of commercial catfishing in the winters in Alabama in the late 90's. I never will forget I had stashed a pint of it in my dry well. Well I was fishing like I normally would and had a cold coming on. It was in the 40's and started raining. I was about done in when I remembered that pint of MC. That stuff was just wonderful tasting, just corny goodness, turn the bottle up and get a swig and chase it with cold river water. If not for that I would have had to go in early. I finished the bottle and caught a ton of fish.

Advanced Taster

I bought a bottle in Georgia last year and loved it. Once I got back to NY I found a few more. It reminds me more of an irish whiskey due to the absence of a rye or wheat flavoring component. I got it for $11 last time I bought it (the BIB). Pretty good deal for a 100 proof whiskey.

Eric

Connoisseur

A couple months ago I picked up a 750ml at a small store in southern Indiana. I enjoyed it so much, the last time I was at TPS, I bought 2 family sized bottles. I think an exceptional value at $19.49

All the bottles I've bought were DSP 31. Reading Dog's post, I was unaware there could be various DSP's
    Last edited by Phil T; 12-23-2012 at 04:55.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

did they say distilled at 354 or 31? for the last few years and the bottle I have, it says distilled 354 and bottled at dsp 31.