Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    You have got to remember that white lightning is still popular down there. I can just hear folks now, this is Jack Daniels white lightning man, it is got to be good stuff.
    I find it hard to believe that moonshine is as prevalent as TV portrays it. I never once saw or heard of any shine out where I was (dry county in Ala. and W.Va.) and didn't know anyone that would buy an unknown product when there were commercially produced products available within a relatively short drive (30 min for beer, 1 hour for liquor.) Maybe it's making a comeback though, but I think it really just makes for "good" TV.

...anyway, it's quite amazing how popular Jack Daniels is. I liken it to the Apple phenomenon - good marketing and brand recognition.

Guru

Oh I doubt anyone still buys that stuff, vodka's cheaper and the scroungy rednecks are on meth.

Guru

It can be found pretty easily around here, actually. Then again maybe it's just the company I keep.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you want a true account of modern moonshining, read Chasing the White Dog, by Max Watman. There are apparently a couple of places where it's still very big, and it's generally not what you think.

Advanced Taster

Here in Virginia its readily available. I have a few sources and generally keep a jar full of Apple Pie and Peach (regular corn moonshine with peaches in it) for an occasional drink as well as for novelty for friends and familt.

Oh and the Applie Pie moonshine over vanilla ice cream is amazing

Edit: And I agree with Chuck, Chasing the White Dog is a great read

Guru

Must be a thing of the "gentrified" South. Most of the mountain folk I knew of grew "greens" for extra cash. I'll look the book up.

Guru

Maybe I need to get out more.

Connoisseur

I come from south Alabama. Monroe county. They busted a still down there last week. I am told it has made a comeback with the economy being bad. It is still pretty popular down there. I still have one cousin I know of still doing it, and last I knew I had one uncle still bringing it in from one pretty good size operation in south Mississippi. Last I bought was in 2004, was good sugar and corn liquor and 28 bucks a gallon. Made in Montgomery county by a sherrifs deputy. He had an eighteen wheeler that would come through and would drop the stuff off in various locations. Generally in the black communities where they still have shot houses. 28 bucks a gallon if I recall and dead on 90 proof. Sealed red gap on gallon plastic jugs. A lot of people look at it as superior to store bought. I know of one local doctor that still will only drink it and buys it in bulk and has it sent off and tested for lead before he will drink it. Last I knew his supplier was in north Florida. I have to say, some of what I have tasted is way better than any white dog off a legal still. But I have had some of what is really popular now, which is flavored and sweetened up. Coconut is a popular flavor. Tastes like suntan lotion.

Connoisseur

My sister used to date a guy whose family had a still in rural Middle Tennessee. It was a pretty darn big one, capable of making too much just for the family to drink. They were big in the local community so I doubt anyone would give them guff for it. We got a tour and had a little party once. Things were going great until his dad actually tried to seduce my cousin. Good times!

Guru

This thread seems to be bringing out some colorful family history.