Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

There are two documentaries, called Making Moonshine, and Still Making Moonshine, that are pretty entertaining if you can get your hands on them. They follow an old, barely-understandable moonshiner in North Carolina and show him going to the hardware store, buying copper, and making a still from scratch.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I come from south Alabama. Monroe county. They busted a still down there last week. I am told it has made a comeback with the economy being bad. It is still pretty popular down there. I still have one cousin I know of still doing it, and last I knew I had one uncle still bringing it in from one pretty good size operation in south Mississippi. Last I bought was in 2004, was good sugar and corn liquor and 28 bucks a gallon. Made in Montgomery county by a sherrifs deputy. He had an eighteen wheeler that would come through and would drop the stuff off in various locations. Generally in the black communities where they still have shot houses. 28 bucks a gallon if I recall and dead on 90 proof. Sealed red gap on gallon plastic jugs. A lot of people look at it as superior to store bought. I know of one local doctor that still will only drink it and buys it in bulk and has it sent off and tested for lead before he will drink it. Last I knew his supplier was in north Florida. I have to say, some of what I have tasted is way better than any white dog off a legal still. But I have had some of what is really popular now, which is flavored and sweetened up. Coconut is a popular flavor. Tastes like suntan lotion.
    You should try aging some of the local stuff and see how it turns out. Might be a new product line for you!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

[QUOTE=cowdery;317291]Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

Finally got presented in GA today. Product doesnt land till Tuesday though. $50 wholesale I can get some really old scotch/bourbon for that price. As expected neutral spirit is on the label under the heading (type). That's all I need to know. The word whiskey is no where on the label. So it's a 50$ vodka in a 750 ml bottle. PASS
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

I figure it was intended for the hotel/bar/restaurant trade. They could name their own price for a shot/call drink.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

[QUOTE=Restaurant man;317857]
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

Finally got presented in GA today. Product doesnt land till Tuesday though. $50 wholesale I can get some really old scotch/bourbon for that price. As expected neutral spirit is on the label under the heading (type). That's all I need to know. The word whiskey is no where on the label. So it's a 50$ vodka in a 750 ml bottle. PASS
    Thanks, but you say they don't have live product yet, so that may just be the old art. I need someone to look at one for me that is actually on sale.

Guru

[QUOTE=cowdery;317963]
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post

Thanks, but you say they don't have live product yet, so that may just be the old art. I need someone to look at one for me that is actually on sale.
    If they arrive next week as expected I will go by and take a picture. Whether I get one is still to be determined. But knowing me....
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Since this is not a rye whiskey, can we create a new "Garbage Rye" sub-forum to move it to?

Disciple

Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

But according to Jack Daniel's it is a rye white dog, not a neutral spirit - the only reason it can't be labeled whiskey is because they didn't go through the charade of barreling it for a negligible amount of time.
    Jim

Guru

Well, if they wanted it to be labeled as such I reckon they should have gone through with said charade. I'd wager they don't give a flip one way or the other though, as they'll have no problem moving it.

Disciple

Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

I think that's true. JD drinkers will buy it up because it says JD no matter what else it says.
    Jim