Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

Subsequent to the announcement about the JD product, and after they made their explanation, I challenged TTB to justify calling it 'neutral spirit' since it doesn't meet the definition of neutral spirit and they confirmed my interpretation. But because their policy prevents them from commenting about specific labeling decisions, we don't know if they required JD to change the label. That's why I'm so interested to see how it's labeled on the actual production bottles.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Subsequent to the announcement about the JD product, and after they made their explanation, I challenged TTB to justify calling it 'neutral spirit' since it doesn't meet the definition of neutral spirit and they confirmed my interpretation. But because their policy prevents them from commenting about specific labeling decisions, we don't know if they required JD to change the label. That's why I'm so interested to see how it's labeled on the actual production bottles.
    I'll do my best to touch base on tues/weds. Maybe someone in Tennessee can hit u before then
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

JD Rye, aka "The Abomination", has landed in at least some stores in Georgia. Somehow one managed to fall into my shopping basket. A few pics for those interested.

JD 2.JPG
    The full presentation. Cost me $49.99 for this one. I decided I was going to try at least one despite the cost since I had been able to try it first and found it a good deal more enjoyable than I had expected to.

JD 1.jpeg
    Batch #1 described as "Spirits Distilled from Grain"

JD 3.jpeg
    Right side of bottle with a little blurb indicating that most of it will be aged. "Signed" and dated "Sept 2012". It notes rye is the "lead grain" but does that mean corn or other grains are also part of the mashbill? Or is it a 100% or at least "high" rye mashbill? If that news has been published then I guess I missed it.

JD 4.jpeg
    Back of the bottle. The left side of the bottle is unadorned.

JD 6.jpeg
    Front of the neck with a little string "necklace" proudly declaring its origin.

JD 5.jpeg
    Back of the neck indicating the bottles individual number. No indication of how many bottles were produced.

Well, there it is. Let the fireworks begin!

I do like that, unlike the Dickel Rye which no matter how good it may be is still sourced rye, it appears that JD will eventually have their own aged rye for sale.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 01-16-2013 at 15:46.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Thanks for the pics.

Wonder how much a four year rye from them will cost if this is $50 a pop. Oof.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Thanks for the pics.

Wonder how much a four year rye from them will cost if this is $50 a pop. Oof.
    A lot I would guess!!! Maybe even more than a lot...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Well, lead grain certainly implies it's not 100% rye. Now that you have one to drink at leisure how about some more tasting notes.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Looks like no mention of neutral spirit, which is all to the good.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Looks like no mention of neutral spirit, which is all to the good.

Gary
    Had a sample of it last week. Much sweeter than the few other rye white dogs I have tried (suggesting at least some corn I would think?) and much smoother than I had expected. A tremendous amount of bready sour dough/rye taste. Only a passing resemblance to the Koval white 100% rye I tried earlier this week. Not much in the way of a finish not that I expected much.

Never had anything quite like it before.

Guru

Presuming this post on Drink Spirits is correct I seem to have found my answer about the mashbill.

"The new Jack Daniel’s Unaged Rye has a considerable amount of rye in it, with a mashbill consisting of 70 percent rye, 18 percent corn and 12 percent malted barley."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you'll permit me, a moment of gloating. I made Jack Daniel's change a label. How cool is that?