Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 170 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Last pour of my first Four Roses bottle, TPS selected FR1B. I was gonna give some bottles out as Christmas gifts, but I think it's just too 'hot upfront' to gift. I'm not worried though, it's good enough for me.

Apprentice

FR1b LE 2012. Sips easy for a 113 proof-er.
    Rob

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourserker View Post
    I feel your pain both figuratively and literally. I finally got a couple of bottles of GTS that I ordered back in Februray, and I can't even partake of one because of a stinking head cold that is going on 3 weeks.
    Last year I had a head cold that seemed to last about a week, but I lost my taste for nearly FIVE weeks. I'm at about two weeks now since I could last taste much (despite only having a couple days of feeling under the weather). Disappointed I missed a couple of whiskey get-togethers the week before Christmas, but what can you do.

Hope you're coming up on the end of your spell! GTS sounds like a great way to celebrate feeling better
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

PHC 4th tonight hubba hubba.

Apprentice

Going with KBD's V17 tonight, and it is much much better than I remembered it. When I first opened and tried it I couldn't get past a corn flavor that was reminiscent of BMH small batch, but tonight a lot of the sweet and spice notes are more upfront.

I bought this bottle in July of this year when talk of a scarcity hit since I hadn't tried it yet and it got such great reviews. Sure enough, you won't find it in stores anymore but after spending around $80 for it, and trying it from month to month without any "woah!" moment, I almost wish I had just divided up my $80 and gotten some less expensive but more reliable bottles like Weller 12 or Ritt BiB.

All that said V17 has been a much needed learning experience about buying (expensive) bottles for no other reason than they are selling out quickly.

Virtuoso

PHC 6th and '12 GTS. Think I'm gonna go over to the other thread and vote PHC for best of the year. This stuff is so good!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jakeox View Post
    Last night at my grandparent's for dinner, my brothers and I had a look in the liquor cabinet and came up with this old bottle of Four Roses. We each had a taste and put it away for next time we're over -- it was pretty cool to have a little of Grandpa's old whiskey.
    I'm sure there's more than a few of us who have inherited whiskey from relatives who have passed on. In my case, I found bottles of Wild Turkey 86pf and Johnnie Walker Black (each around half full) in a closet at my late grandmother's condo when we were moving her to assisted living in 2007. Neither bottle had been touched since 1986, the year my grandfather died, and the whiskey was fine after twenty-one years in a cool, dark closet.

Every taste of the two bottles I have is a bit of memory and contemplation, and I'll make them last as long as possible.

(p.s. As for what's in the bottle, as others are saying, it's nothing special. But really, the point isn't what's in the bottle as long as it's even marginally drinkable, it's whose bottle it was.)
    Last edited by Kalessin; 12-27-2012 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeox View Post
    Last night at my grandparent's for dinner, my brothers and I had a look in the liquor cabinet and came up with this old bottle of Four Roses. We each had a taste and put it away for next time we're over -- it was pretty cool to have a little of Grandpa's old whiskey. He's only been gone a few years, but he must have stopped drinking whiskey a lot longer ago than that. Anyone know how old this stuff is?
    Attachment 14606
    That was the blended whiskey that Seagram's when they owned FR sold in the US that gave FR a bad name in the US. It was basically rot gut whiskey it has taken Jim Rutledge to drag the FR name out of the mud in the US by producing some of the finest bourbons on the market.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-27-2012 at 09:05.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Google Docs is great for volunteer work that requires really complicated collabarative projects using spreadsheets. Right up until it isn't.

When that happened at around 10pm last night, I poured a small glass of OFBB 2011, sat back, and waited for people to sort out their parts of the data on the shared spreadsheet.

I found myself really wanting some scotch flavors, so as a followup, I brought out Signatory's 1997 Isle of Jura. Fantastic!
    Last edited by Kalessin; 12-27-2012 at 09:16.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    That was the blended whiskey that Seagram's when they owned FR sold in the US that gave FR a bad name in the US. It was basically rot gut whiskey it has taken Jim Rutledge to drag the FR name out of the mud in the US by producing some of the finest bourbons on the market.
    Remember, JR credits Seagrams for putting Four Roses into a position to produce some of the finest bourbons on the market.