Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

I am officiating a wedding today, and last night I was invited to a nice restaurant in town for the rehearsal dinner after we finished the dry run at the venue. I didn't have much to do beforehand, so I decided to just check out the bar and kill time. They had A.H. Hirsch 16 year on the menu for $15. I asked if they had it, and the bartender produced a gold foil bottle, with about 1/5 fill level. After nodding my consent and asking for it neat, she set down a large rocks glass in front of me and started pouring...one finger...two fingers...oh, let's just finish off this bottle. I was pretty giddy, and pretty tipsy after polishing that off over the course of the next hour and a half.

Quite decent stuff...not as exquisite as I had imagined, but very good.

Connoisseur

Got together with some family for some pre-New Years partying, and my cousin who I introduced to drinking whiskey asked me to bring along a few open bottles from my collection to get everyone at the party tasting and learning about whiskey. In the interest of running the gamut I tried to bring 5 very different whiskies. I find more than five with total novices is pushing it, attention wanders and people get rowdy. Which is the point!

Wish it was a bourbon/rye tasting, but in the interest of being informative I had to branch out. We tasted a Redemption Rye to start, moved to a BMH NAS, then to a Hibiki 12, onto an Aberlour 16 double cask, before finishing with a Longrow 7 finished in a Barolo cask. The big hit, especially with the ladies, was the Hibiki, which surprised me. That whiskey is too delicate and floral for me, so I was more than happy to share the rest of it. BMH was a close second. I was actually surprised by how smooth the redemption was for being so young, the wood and spice really seemed well-incorporated and balanced. I think the Longrow 7 went over most everyone's heads, but I'm still trying to figure that one out, and it's my second bottle of the stuff. I think generally the ACEing thing is over-rated but I've never had a peaty scotch like this one. Powerful peat playing with sour/salty notes that goes very gentle on the finish, a tangy smoke that literally lingers for minutes. A great time with family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

5th Christmas of the season today and my brother and I about put the kill on my bottle of Beer Barrel Bourbon. He's not a big drinker, likes his beer, but this sat really well with him. I don't mind it either.

Lot B and PVW 15. A fun comparison

Virtuoso

Started with some Elijah Craig 18 tonight.

Best regards, Tony

What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Opened a 2012 FRSB LE and a pour of PHC 2012, I love the PHC but after trying the Four Roses, I have come to the conclusion that I really am not into the Four Roses profile. I have had a few of their offerings and have yet to like one.. I always get an almost spoiled citrus note on the finish..Oh we'll more for everyone else

Connoisseur

whipped up a Blinker for Sunday nite chat
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I am officiating a wedding today, and last night I was invited to a nice restaurant in town for the rehearsal dinner after we finished the dry run at the venue. I didn't have much to do beforehand, so I decided to just check out the bar and kill time. They had A.H. Hirsch 16 year on the menu for $15. I asked if they had it, and the bartender produced a gold foil bottle, with about 1/5 fill level. After nodding my consent and asking for it neat, she set down a large rocks glass in front of me and started pouring...one finger...two fingers...oh, let's just finish off this bottle. I was pretty giddy, and pretty tipsy after polishing that off over the course of the next hour and a half.

Quite decent stuff...not as exquisite as I had imagined, but very good.
    Where's the "Like" button on this thing?!? Great story!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

A short pour of FR's OBSF from Kahn's. A delicious, spicy, rye bomb
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Apprentice

Last night was a BT (with a splash of water) and a FRSmB (with a splash of water).

The FRSmB is one of my favorites right now.