Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 36 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Been drowning my sorrows in WLW during the BCS game all night, and just switched to ETL. I love ETL, but following the WLW isn't doing it any favors.

Connoisseur

After spending about 3 hours in an Urgent Care after dislocating my finger during a bball game (I've jammed a finger probably a dozen times over my bball playing 'career', but this is my first dislocation), I'm sipping some 4RSmB.... very fruity, yet woody as well.

All that waiting, and the doctor simply had to pull on the affected finger (rimshot). He was about to give me a numbing shot, but says "eh, you look pretty tough" and away we went. That guy was seriously good, barely hurt at all and didn't even need a shot.

Guru

What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Glad to hear your finger's been taken care of - I've had to give up BBall on account of my knees but I'll tip one back to your speedy recovery & quick return to the courts.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by thiemb View Post
    CEHT SmB and Weller 12.
    What's your take on the CEHT SmB?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    4R new Visitors center 17yo, a truly great bourbon, probably the best of last year.

Best regards, Tony

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Tony, any idea if any of those bottles would still be available at the Visitors Center? I'm planning a trip down there over my spring break and was hoping to get some if it still is.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Mikede1285 View Post
    Tony, any idea if any of those bottles would still be available at the Visitors Center? I'm planning a trip down there over my spring break and was hoping to get some if it still is.
    I heard they sold out all 4 barrels in 24 hours so unfortunately it's not available at the visitors center anymore but they do have a nice selection of other offerings.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Glad to hear your finger's been taken care of - I've had to give up BBall on account of my knees but I'll tip one back to your speedy recovery & quick return to the courts.
    Thank you, sir.

Knee problems are one thing I haven't had to deal with (yet)... gotta talk to my doc to find the best ways to avoid the knee issues, lots of us older guys with knee braces on, and I'm slow enough without that particular problem.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 01-08-2013 at 08:22.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Mikede1285 View Post
    I managed to pick up two bottles of the 17 and one 13 with a lucky call to the visitor center. When I visited at the end of November to pick them up, they had three barrels available, I think they were all between 10-12 years old.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I managed to pick up two bottles of the 17 and one 13 with a lucky call to the visitor center. When I visited at the end of November to pick them up, they had three barrels available, I think they were all between 10-12 years old.
    Anybody know if the 4R Cox's Creek Warehouse gift shop near Bardstown has a similar selction to the main distillery in Lawrenceburg?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A delightful evening at Seven Lamps, a new restaurant near Lenox Mall. Arianne Fielder, formerly of Bourbon Bar is at the stick and she was assisted tonight by Tom McGuire, who also mans the bar at Prohibition. We started with a pour of the new JD white dog rye that a friend had acquired and although I was fully prepared to dislike it I was pleasantly surprised. It was full of sourdough bread notes but did not have a lot of white dog roughness to it. We then had a taste of Troy & Sons corn whiskey. Somewhat similar to the JD rye but more subdued and a bit sweeter. I have to admit I preferred the JD rye.

I brought the Hawaiian "Moonshine" okolehao to the party and everybody seemed to like it, Tom quickly turned it into a cocktail that we called "Bottoms Up" (okole meaning your bottom or butt in Hawaiian. Okolehao is the name of an iron three legged pot that was turned into a still in Hawaii and no doubt looked like a nice round bottom...). The drink consisted of 1.5 oz okolehao, 0.5 oz St Germaine and 0.5 pomegranate juice served over ice and topped with 3-4 oz of ginger beer with a lime wedge squeezed into the drink and then dropped into the drink. Somewhat tiki-esque which was quite apropro and very tasty!

Arianne then used it in a variation on a Mary Pickford Cocktail with pineapple juice, maraschino liqueur and a splash of hibiscus grenadine on the bottom and a variation on a classic Doctor Cocktail (a personal favorite) with Swedish punsch and lime juice. Both were very nice but I am partial to the Doctor Cocktail..

From there we moved on to some Perique tobacco liqueur and Angels Envy Cask Strength to accompany the Baba au Rhum for dessert.

A most pleasant evening!
    Forgot one! We also had a sample of some genuine (as in you gotta know someone who knows someone. Fortunately my friend is in the industry and knows the right someone) peach flavored "moonshine" complete with miniature mason jar! It was surprisingly tasty stuff with a strong but not overbearing peach flavor. And my vision is still clear this morning, more or less...

Definitely a white dog kind of night.
    "
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum