Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 55 of 170 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Mixed up a Barton based cocktail to go with lunch, which included Amaretto and Fee Bros bitters.

Connoisseur

Just had a head to head with Bookers and some Hirsch 28. I have had both before and I feel that both fall into the category of bourbon that often carries a hefty pricetag without delivering the proverbial goods. There were some surprises this time around though, but I'm going to stick to placing both of these bottles in the pass column for me. Luckily these bottles were at the local bar.

Booker's was really hot on the nose, smelling heavily of acetone, with a bit of honeysuckle and mown grass thrown into the mix. I was hoping for a nose closer to the PHC 2012, but not to be unfortunately. The mouthfeel was oily, tight and hot, and the dominating note on the palate was that slightly sour, greenish pop that reminds me of what pencils tasted like when I would nervously chew them in middle school. Not much sweetness or much of a finish. Water seemed to bring out more of the earthy, mown grass element and some honey caramel sweetness, but generally not a dram I enjoy, and while in the past I thought it to be notable for being an example of a 'sweet spot' bourbon in terms of aging, its youth was very obvious next to the Hirsch.

The Hirsch 28 is a dry wood bomb, like chewing on a plank instead of a pencil, brittle and tannic, resting with a bit of a bite in my throat, the finish feels like it's turning my tongue to dust. I think the Hirsch 25 is still good drinking, a dram that opens with time in the glass, but the 28 is just a bit too much, and I generally love dry drinks of all sorts. The nose is truly spectacular though. Just layer upon layer of must, treacle, leather and toffee. Too bad the rest didn't live up to the nose. The structure of the body of older whiskey is best experienced IMO by holding the dram 1 second in my mouth for every year it has spent in the barrel. The Hirsch 28 did something really weird when I tried that. The wood disappeared entirely. As did any semblance of a burn. I had the bartender try the same thing and he reported similar results without my prompting. Anyone else ever experience something similar, with the Hirsch or any other bourbon. Only other similar experience I can think of was with a BTEC '89 lost barrel 21 year.

I'm reaping some wheaters tonight. Repeat, reaping not raping. Although that depends on ones point of view I guess. Started out with some Weller 12. Followed that up with my own version of the SB blend, a 1:1 vatting of OWA and Weller SR. Who knows? There might just be more to follow later on this evening.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

I've been making cocktails with Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao, it is really delightful stuff. Certainly sweet, but not sickeningly so. I've been putting it in about 4:1, usually with a BIB, but tonight with AAA, which made it quite sweet. I also added a drip of Jerry Thomas Bitters, which added a little... well, bitter flavor.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this Curacao: it's worthing having on your bar.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Old Grand Dad BIB prior to our dinner party tonight. Cocktails will follow.

Connoisseur

Abraham Bowman "Gift Shop" 138.6 prf. This one continues to impress as a flavor bomb without heat. Just wow!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Disciple

Taking a lead from Squire's occasional lunch time libation...only mine has to be at dinner time...Barton Manhattan-both Angostura and Stirring's blood orange bitters with 2 Luxardo cherries.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

Starting off with a little OGD 114. Still trying to fully warm up to this one.

Enthusiast

Enjoying some V17 while listening to Thelonious Monk on the new turntable & speakers set up. Great combo

Disciple

Back to back Weller's tonight,OWA now on to the '12 WLW.Looks like a wheater night for sure this evening!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski