Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 62 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Since John Hansell gave it American Whiskey of the year today, I'm having the last pour of my first bottle of the FR 2012 SmB while I watch Justified this evening. Really glad I picked up several of these and I hope I get lucky enough to come across another.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I assume you are talking about wiskey rocks for chilling?
    Yes, my gf bought me the latex ice cube tray that holds 6 large ice cubes. Even if you're not a fan of the large cubes, I feel that the latex trays are the way to go. She also purchased a couple of molds that make large round cubes which are fun.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Mikede1285 View Post
    Since John Hansell gave it American Whiskey of the year today, I'm having the last pour of my first bottle of the FR 2012 SmB while I watch Justified this evening. Really glad I picked up several of these and I hope I get lucky enough to come across another.
    I do enjoy this bourbon as well. However, I must admit I do add quite a bit of water. I found a few bottles at a local store last week so I grabbed another to hold me over until the 2013 comes out. =) Always optimistic.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisc84 View Post
    Yes, my gf bought me the latex ice cube tray that holds 6 large ice cubes. Even if you're not a fan of the large cubes, I feel that the latex trays are the way to go. She also purchased a couple of molds that make large round cubes which are fun.
    I thought you were referring to actual rocks not ice. I heard someone else refer to "a rock" and I thought you both were talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Teroforma-1220.../dp/B002GZX2DE

Enthusiast

Had a neat pour of the Henry McKenna 10-Year-Old Single Barrel Bourbon last night. So aggressively spicy that it lasted for almost an entire movie. Small sips, small sips....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

4 Roses Yellow Label. Stopped by the store to get some wine for my wife and couldn't help but leave with something for me. I'd not had the modern iteration of YL and I was expecting it to be thinner. Probably one of the best 80 proofers I have tasted.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    4 Roses Yellow Label. Stopped by the store to get some wine for my wife and couldn't help but leave with something for me. I'd not had the modern iteration of YL and I was expecting it to be thinner. Probably one of the best 80 proofers I have tasted.
    The FRYL is $16 by me, and it is one I always keep around. It is not something I would generally reach for this time of year, but it is a great bourbon to whip out when just kicking back on the weekend with some friends or when you just want an easy drinker. Too bad they can't get the proof up a bit though.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    The FRYL is $16 by me, and it is one I always keep around. It is not something I would generally reach for this time of year, but it is a great bourbon to whip out when just kicking back on the weekend with some friends or when you just want an easy drinker. Too bad they can't get the proof up a bit though.
    I would buy this more often if the proof was higher, but I find it quite useful as a 'gateway bourbon' for friends who want to drink something besides JBW/JD but don't know where to start.

Taster

Picked up a bottle of Larceny and cracked it open. A very nice wheater, enjoyable both neat & over ice. I preferred it with just a few cubes rather than a full glass of ice. I liked it better than Makers Mark, although not as much as Weller's Antique. A nice addition to the cabinet & one I will certainly buy again. Thanks to HH for putting out a quality product at a fair price point.

Advanced Taster

During her visit to Madison, WI, my lovely wife bought me a bottle of locally made Yahara Bay whiskey, and it is plain awful. Has to be the worst whiskey I've had. It's the thought that counts, so I let her stay. haha

I can't find much info on it other than it being a four grain whiskey, but it can't be more than a year or two old. Tried to make an old fashioned, heavy on the bitters last night, and its youth still managed to rear its ugly head.