Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 66 of 170 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Got home last night and reached towards the back of the shelf and found an Old Commonwealth 80 proof. I believe this came out of a decanter with Julian Van Winkle's name on it. No idea when it's from (maybe late 70s). Such a unique bourbon. Lots of flavor for 80 proof, and the aroma is just fantastic fruitiness. I have no idea where this bourbon was made, nor how old it is, but it's a good one for sure.

Nose - Tons of fruit. Juicy fruit gum. Some oak, but not much.
    Taste - Slightly thin at 80 proof. Sweet, with hints of pear.
    Finish - A little short, but pleasingly sweet and fruity.

This one is just great for it's uniqueness. I could not compare it to anything else. In that respect, it gets an 87 out of me.

Guru

Good example of how high the standard was for even grade Bourbons back when.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Good example of how high the standard was for even grade Bourbons back when.
    When I find unique bourbons I tend to rate them high and the score will fall over time. I call it the WOW factor. I find that I do this most with dusty bottles. At first I really take a liking to them, but after spending some time together I like them less and less. Newly acquired barrel proof bottlings seem to be the opposite. At first they are good, but once you get to know them they just get better and better.

I think it has a lot to do with how sweet they are. I like a dryer bourbon, and there aren't many of those in the dusty world. So far a statement I made a while back holds true: The more dusty bottles I try the less I like them. While many are totally unique compared to bourbon of today, too many of them have a cloying sweet flavor that is good at first, but it catches up to me in the long run.

Guru

Good point, the producers back then were designing whisky to be mixed in cocktails and highballs so the flavor profile reflected what the customers wanted. Except for the prices I'm glad we have the choices provided us today.

Connoisseur

I have the day off, so I'm drinking a little Pappy 20 after lunch. It's tasting OK. Too early for scotch, so I might follow up with an Old Fashioned before heading to the Quarter for some Mardi Gras festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    When I find unique bourbons I tend to rate them high and the score will fall over time. I call it the WOW factor. I find that I do this most with dusty bottles. At first I really take a liking to them, but after spending some time together I like them less and less. Newly acquired barrel proof bottlings seem to be the opposite. At first they are good, but once you get to know them they just get better and better.

I think it has a lot to do with how sweet they are. I like a dryer bourbon, and there aren't many of those in the dusty world. So far a statement I made a while back holds true: The more dusty bottles I try the less I like them. While many are totally unique compared to bourbon of today, too many of them have a cloying sweet flavor that is good at first, but it catches up to me in the long run.

My sentiments exactly on "dusty" bourbons, Every bottle in the tax stamp era that I have opened I fell in love with as soon as it touched my lips. Then after a few pours from the bottle I just tend to stop drinking them and they start sitting open for long periods of time. I mostly attribute it to my palate not knowing what to do with a sweet whiskey and then once my taste buds are used to it, I tend to not like the overt sweetness of most whiskeys from that era. Now as a caveat to this statement, when I have a whiskey newbie at the house I tend to break out an ND Old Taylor or OGD as it seems to sit well on a newbies palate, especially the 80 and 86 proof offerings.

Advanced Taster

I met a friend at a bar last night, sat down in a booth and the bartender - who knows I'm a bourbon nerd - came over and presented me with the bottle of PHC 2012 the bar had received that day. He poured me a taste and then I took a pour. I then had a Elmer T. Lee with club soda and something else with club soda before ending with a pour of WLW 2012. Came home and poured my wife and I each a BT w/club soda. I sort of fell asleep while drinking mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    A little PHC 10 aside the morning coffee. A wonderful way to start a relaxed day where the big agenda item is admiring the scenery outback. A little snow fall sure makes the cardinals stand out.
    Will, you're my hero.

As for me....... After a long and arduous, but extremely productive week at work, I'm having a couple of pours of some Pappy 15. It's really hitting the spot tonight. I sure wish I didn't have to limit myself tonight. I have to work tomorrow too. Already contemplating what I should pour when I get home tomorrow.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    ...I'm having a couple of pours of some Pappy 15. It's really hitting the spot tonight.
    Current stuff? I have really taken a liking to the current Pappy 15. It reminds me of a very well aged version of some of the outstanding SB OWA's that have been around lately.

Startin' the evening with one of my faves, a "deconstructed" Baby Saz old fashioned...yeah, it's rye not bourbon, but whatever

I can explain the dorky "deconstructed" thing, if need be... I do believe it makes the best old fashioned ever, to be honest.