Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 104 of 170 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1700
    Taster

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

ER17, been open for a while, and i am finally starting to enjoy it. was very flat in the beginning

Advanced Taster

I was about to crack open a bottle of Smooth Old Scout 7-Year Rye when I changed course and went for the open bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye (2011 bottling). No regrets.

N.P. - "Mirrors" by The Comettes

Connoisseur

Opened a 4 year old Willet and a TPS Old Scout. Both are pretty good in their initial pours, we'll see how they evolve

Disciple

Just a few on a stay home, it's too damn cold Saturday night: Rittenhouse BIB, OWA private SB, Willett 8 year private SB wheater, Willett 9 year, 4R OBSF 9 year, Buffalo Trace by Binny's SB- just arrived-Brett is back pick (a delish cherry bomb), EWSB Binny's 2003 (coming around on this as long as I forget the mint) and Dickel 12.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Sipping on SB Blend while I search Google for T-Ball drills.

Almost tried Heaven Hill Bourbon at a BBQ joint (it was their well bourbon)... but skipped cause I didn't really trust the place not to water-down or otherwise mishandle their stock. When I asked what their bourbon selection was, the 'bartender' said (and this is no exaggeration) "Well, we have Jack, Jim Beam, and Crown...." (I guess 1/3 is good in baseball at least) and then giggled as she mentioned the HH as their 'house' mixer.

Could anyone give a few tasting notes? The name makes it tough to search for in the forums, but I'd be curious if it's considered 'as good' as something like EW:B. I know it's 80 proof vs EWB's 86, so that's a strike against it... But I am still a bit curious. Always kind of eyed it in the store when I stock up on my lower-shelf handles, but I've always gone with my tried-and-trusted EWB at that level.

Disciple

What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

This is what happens when you visit Denver.ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361088218.205906.jpg Wripvanwrinkle and I are sorry about the Glencairns Bradley!
    Jim

Guru

JP, Evan Williams Black label is blended to meet a specific profile and the folks at Heaven Hill have the expertise and supply to keep shelves around the Country full.

What they also do is fill a lot of bottles with 80 proof whisky to meet demands for cheap well Bourbon and grad students on a budget.

HH 80 proof whisky under any of it's labels (there are a lot of them) will have a simpler profile and is intended to be used as a mixer.

Advanced Taster

Last night, I enjoyed a nice pour of a 50/50 blend of OWA and Weller 12. I liked it so much, I now have 2 bottles of that blend.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Dan View Post
    Last night, I enjoyed a nice pour of a 50/50 blend of OWA and Weller 12. I liked it so much, I now have 2 bottles of that blend.
    That would be the stuff! The SB blend, beautiful bourbon that works out to about $23/bottle for me. Been awhile since I've commented on the blend. I save all of my bottles, when I vat the SB blend, I vat 1 bottle of each into those two bottles plus an empty. So I end up with 3 x 2/3 filled bottles. This speeds up the process of getting some air to the whiskey. I'm a firm believer that wheaters improve with some air in the bottle.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    That would be the stuff! The SB blend, beautiful bourbon that works out to about $23/bottle for me. Been awhile since I've commented on the blend. I save all of my bottles, when I vat the SB blend, I vat 1 bottle of each into those two bottles plus an empty. So I end up with 3 x 2/3 filled bottles. This speeds up the process of getting some air to the whiskey. I'm a firm believer that wheaters improve with some air in the bottle.
    Interesting. After I've made some headway into one of the bottles, I'll let leave it alone for a couple of weeks, and then do a comparison with the other full bottle. Sounds like fun.