Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 170 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Enjoyed my first taste of Larceny last night. That bottle won't last very long.

Advanced Taster

Decided to do a celebrating last night following the conclusion of three rather hellish months of work.

- Blanton's Straight from the Barrel (Barrel #17; Warehouse H; Rick #50; Dumped on 1.10.2011; 134.8-proof): One of the top five pours of bourbon I have ever had. International-only release, but had it in a bar. The nose is pretty subtle at first but after a few minutes really opens up and you quickly understand that you're in for a high rye mashbill. This thing is a fire-breathing monster with tons of spice and wood and a long burn. Just a spectacular bourbon for people who like the very high-proof stuff.

- Oola Cask Strength: This is a Seattle-based distillery which recently released its first bourbon and, smartly, released a cask strength. I don't recall the details, but I think it's 118-proof. I just had a free little taste and it was very good, right in that sweet spot of 105-120 proof. I didn't go for a pour because I just pick it up at the distillery or a store. I will say that I think Oola could win a craft bourbon tasting competition. These guys know what they're doing.

- Larceny: I had my first taste of this (I have not seen this at retail locally or any other bar). Another free taste. Granted the Blanton's was fresh on my mind, lips, tongue, throat, etc. but this stuff left me feeling empty. For the price, it's solid, but some of the chatter has suggested that it's exceptional and I'm not in agreement.

- Parker's Heritage Collection Wheated (2010; 124.2-proof): Had a pour of this great juice. I picked this over the Blend of Mashbills and the 10-Year Finished in Cognac Barrel.

- Nikka Whisky From The Barrel (102.8-proof): Had a pour of this Japanese whiskey that was ultra-smooth and aromatic. I really enjoyed this. I hard a tough time pinning down some of the tastes but it sort of had some Speyside characteristics. Here's the description: "Matured malt whisky and grain whisky are blended and then re-casked (a process known as "marriage") to create a rich harmony of distinctly different whiskies. "From the Barrel" is bottled directly from re-casked barrels of whisky and features almost the same alcohol percentage. At 51.4% alcohol content, this whisky possesses a distinctive personality characterized by solidity, depth of taste and a richly expanding aroma."

- I.W. Harper 12-Year (bottled in 1982, we think): This bourbon isn't really anything special but I love being able to drink a dusty in a bar. It was a good way to end this round.

Bonus!

- William Larue Weller 2012: Stopped off on the way home for something to eat at one of my favorite restaurants where I've recently befriended the bartenders. They cracked open their new bottle of William Larue Weller 2012 for me (the last time I was in there I killed their WLW 2011 and their last Black Maple Hill Small Batch). Gotta be honest, I don't remember much about this year's WLW at this point but I do know that it was good.

Guru

Celebrate you did my friend, sounds like quite a night.

Guru

Lunch today was shrimp gumbo accompanied by a Blanton martini.

Enthusiast

The wife is out of town for the weekend so I'm hosting a whiskey and poker night with the guys. Should be fun. I won't be trying all of these tonight, but I'm sure I'll get to several of them.

bourbontasting.jpg

Guru

That's definitely a full house. The only way I could get away with that is make sure the place was cleaned up before she got back.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by thiemb View Post
    The wife is out of town for the weekend so I'm hosting a whiskey and poker night with the guys. Should be fun. I won't be trying all of these tonight, but I'm sure I'll get to several of them.
    Whoa. Good luck with the poker, and I'm certain your friends will appreciate the bourbon/rye selection.

Guru

Starting the evening with Old Grand Dad BIB.

Guru

Four Roses OBSO Private Selection from a local store. Cotton candy sweet. Another low fill I'm looking to kill off tonight.

Guru

What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by dementedavenger View Post
    Decided to do a celebrating last night following the conclusion of three rather hellish months of work.
    A well rewarded celebration I'd say based on your lineup!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof