Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Diageo v. Brown-Forman

Anybody heard of the battle in the Tennessee Legislature over a bill to permit the use of refill casks to age Tennessee Whiskey. Diageo for it, B-F against. I'm squarely with B-F on this one, even though I prefer George to Jack.

Connoisseur

Re: Diageo v. Brown-Forman

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...fight/6409747/

Edit to add: I'm not picking sides, I'm just for truth in labeling. I like to know what I'm buying.
    Last edited by Tucker; 03-14-2014 at 20:56.

Guru

That is interesting, wonder how this one will play out.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Makes no sense for Diageo to push for re-use of barrels as they are probably they world's LARGEST user of ex-bourbon barrels.

I've been saying over on the Scotch forums that the world producers of whisky better hope demand for American straight whisky continues to RISE (mainly due to the new wood requirement). If demand drops and/or Americans start to re-use barrels:
    a) quality of all other whisky will suffer (supply of fresh ex-bourbon barrels will drop and they will be forced to use more and more tired casks to age their own whisky), and/or
    b) they will be forced to use more new wood which will impact costs AND taste.

SO, why Diageo would argue for change in American whisky law, is beyond me.
    Last edited by portwood; 03-15-2014 at 05:17.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

Apparently Diageo feels it has a plethora of fresh used barrels and as you note new oak increases cost. Unfortunately Diageo it seems is all about 1) making it as cheap as possible, 2) hiding the truth of what they are doing and 3) selling it for as much as possible, often by bending the truth in marketing the product as much as possible (and sometimes more than just bending it I suspect).

I am all for capitalism in the marketplace but in my opinion in the long run capitalism will only truly succeed with a dash of ethics sprinkled in. Otherwise eventually the consumer base is going to wake up and vote with their wallets. It seems to be a component of capitalism some companies either aren't aware of or choose to ignore in search of the short term gain.

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Makes no sense for Diageo to push for re-use of barrels as they are probably they world's LARGEST user of ex-bourbon barrels.

I've been saying over on the Scotch forums that the world producers of whisky better hope demand for American straight whisky continues to RISE (mainly due to the new wood requirement). If demand drops and/or Americans start to re-use barrels:
    a) quality of all other whisky will suffer (supply of fresh ex-bourbon barrels will drop and they will be forced to use more and more tired casks to age their own whisky), and/or
    b) they will be forced to use more new wood which will impact costs AND taste.

SO, why Diageo would argue for change in American whisky law, is beyond me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That is interesting, wonder how this one will play out.

It will go nowhere. Nothing's getting through the Tennessee legislature that Brown Forman opposes. Look for the bill to die quietly in committee.

Guru

Will be interesting if the bill isn't changed. After all, it was Brown-Forman who started aging Bourbon in used barrels and got it approved as "Old Style Kentucky Whisky". Prior to the recent Tenn law was there any actual legal requirement that would not have allowed Dickel to use refill barrels and still call it's product "Old Style Tennessee Whisky"?

Virtuoso

Will be interesting if the bill isn't changed. After all, it was Brown-Forman who started aging Bourbon in used barrels and got it approved as "Old Style Kentucky Whisky". Prior to the recent Tenn law was there any actual legal requirement that would not have allowed Dickel to use refill barrels and still call it's product "Old Style Tennessee Whisky"?
    No, prior to that law, nothing would have kept them from using reused cooperage. Even with the current law, they could age in reused cooperage and just change the name to "Old Style Whisky Distilled in Tennessee." Would anyone really notice the difference? Given that, it seems silly to pursue legislation.

Guru

Considering the number of dry counties in Tennessee who send Representatives to the State House it's a bit surprising the Legislature passes any pro liquor laws.

Advanced Taster

Considering the number of dry counties in Tennessee who send Representatives to the State House it's a bit surprising the Legislature passes any pro liquor laws.
    Money knows no boundaries and respects no borders. So said a lobbyist friend of mine.