Howdy everyone,

I think I last posted in October, and since then I have been buying roughly a bottle a week of all different kinds of hooch (discovered that I love gin and HATE scotch) and I had a bit of Jack Daniels at a party and thought it was pretty bland and watery. Since there aren't many Tennessee whiskies on the market, I didn't give much more thought to it until today when I was at my local liquor store and they had discounts on George Dickel. I figured I'd give it a shot (got some #12 for $12 when its usually $20, can't pass that up!) and I've been sipping on it all afternoon. All I can say is WOW! This is the smoothest stuff ever! Prior to this I had been gravitating towards higher proof ryes like Old Grand-dad and WT101, and this is a huge change. It has the subtle flavors and a hint of spice from the rye, but none of the harsh, sharp immediate flavors. I know a lot more about whiskey than I did a few months ago, but I'm still a newbie and would like someone more worldly to tell me a bit more about it. Is this effect because of a special mashbill, or is it the charcoal filtering? I always thought that the charcoal filtering was kind of a gimmick to make Tennesee whiskies something special when really they're just bourbons, but this experience is making me second guess that assumption.