Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Novice

George Dickel

Howdy everyone,

I think I last posted in October, and since then I have been buying roughly a bottle a week of all different kinds of hooch (discovered that I love gin and HATE scotch) and I had a bit of Jack Daniels at a party and thought it was pretty bland and watery. Since there aren't many Tennessee whiskies on the market, I didn't give much more thought to it until today when I was at my local liquor store and they had discounts on George Dickel. I figured I'd give it a shot (got some #12 for $12 when its usually $20, can't pass that up!) and I've been sipping on it all afternoon. All I can say is WOW! This is the smoothest stuff ever! Prior to this I had been gravitating towards higher proof ryes like Old Grand-dad and WT101, and this is a huge change. It has the subtle flavors and a hint of spice from the rye, but none of the harsh, sharp immediate flavors. I know a lot more about whiskey than I did a few months ago, but I'm still a newbie and would like someone more worldly to tell me a bit more about it. Is this effect because of a special mashbill, or is it the charcoal filtering? I always thought that the charcoal filtering was kind of a gimmick to make Tennesee whiskies something special when really they're just bourbons, but this experience is making me second guess that assumption.

Disciple

George Dickel

The Dickel mashbill has more corn and less rye compared to the brands you mentioned (and to most bourbons) and I suspect that has more to do with what you're noticing than does the filtering.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Re: George Dickel

Dickel 12 is pretty good stuff. Especially at $12.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    The Dickel mashbill has more corn and less rye compared to the brands you mentioned (and to most bourbons) and I suspect that has more to do with what you're noticing than does the filtering.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a rye, even though after rereading it I could see how it would sound like that. I was just saying that I have been drinking a lot of ryes lately, but I still drink a fair amount of wheaters too as I'm still trying to learn the differences. I know George Dickel makes a rye, but that this is not it. I like the flavor of the rye, but it seems EVERY whiskey I've had so far has had a fairly harsh taste to it that I thought just came with the territory. Some of the scotches I've had were smooth, but I cannot stand that burnt peat taste. I like the flavor of the George Dickel, but mostly its this lack of harshness that I'm interested in. How do they get it to taste so soft? Even the Jack Daniels, which was charcoal filtered, still had a fiery sharpness to it. The Dickel has none, and this is what has me confused.

Guru

Graal the main reason for extensive charcoal filtering was to give the whisky a jump start on aging so it matures faster and can be sold at a younger age, say 4-5 years rather than 6-8. Of course since Tennessee Whisky is an established style they continue with the process in order to maintain the flavor profile.

I've always liked Dickel and believe it's under appreciated. At that price I'd grab a few more if they're any left.

Virtuoso

Dickel #12 is always in the house.

Disciple

George Dickel

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a rye, even though after rereading it I could see how it would sound like that. I was just saying that I have been drinking a lot of ryes lately, but I still drink a fair amount of wheaters too as I'm still trying to learn the differences. I know George Dickel makes a rye, but that this is not it. I like the flavor of the rye, but it seems EVERY whiskey I've had so far has had a fairly harsh taste to it that I thought just came with the territory. Some of the scotches I've had were smooth, but I cannot stand that burnt peat taste. I like the flavor of the George Dickel, but mostly its this lack of harshness that I'm interested in. How do they get it to taste so soft? Even the Jack Daniels, which was charcoal filtered, still had a fiery sharpness to it. The Dickel has none, and this is what has me confused.
    No misunderstanding. GD has more corn and less rye than the two brands you mentioned specifically and also most bourbon brands in general.

Somewhat off topic but it sounds like you have explored only a limited range of Scotch. Most single malts are unpeated, many are very floral and delicate.
    Jim

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    No misunderstanding. GD has more corn and less rye than the two brands you mentioned specifically and also most bourbon brands in general.

Somewhat off topic but it sounds like you have explored only a limited range of Scotch. Most single malts are unpeated, many are very floral and delicate.

I would agree that my experience of scotch is pretty limited. I've only bought JW black label and famous grouse, so those are the only ones I can constantly retry for reference as my tasting skills improve, but I have several fans who consider themselves scotch afficienados who have given me a taste of every scotch under the sun. So far I have not liked any of them. A few were tolerable, but I would not ever choose any of them to have a second time. At this point I feel confidant in saying that I just don't like scotch, even though these so-called "friends" keep telling me that I'm just immature and that scotch has a much broader flavor range than american whiskey. In addition to picking up on the general taste of scotch, I'm also starting to pick up on the general personality of scotch drinkers, which (and this is probably an unfair generalization) seems to be super pretentious and elitist. On the other hand, bourbon drinkers that I have met have been exceptionally warm and friendly people who don't find it strange that you could actually prefer the taste of a cheaper whiskey to a more expensive and rare one.

Guru

You missed one attribute of committed Scotch drinkers Graal, if you pour an average blend in an empty single malt bottle and serve it up to them it's surprising how few will notice the difference. And I agree with you, peat tastes like peat tastes like peat like peat.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Graal View Post
    but I have several fans who consider themselves scotch afficienados

Oops, meant to say "friends". I have several friends who are scotch afficienados. I have no fans. Maybe my wife... but even she's just a fair weather fan