Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Enthusiast

Re: George Dickel

I really like the Dickel, but around 45-50€ per bottle, I think it is too expensive.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by stiffchainey View Post
    I really like the Dickel, but around 45-50€ per bottle, I think it is too expensive.
    That is terrible. Are all American Whiskies that expensive? Dickel is one of the most reasonably prices whiskies here in the States.

Enthusiast

No. You get usually good deals. Like a bottle of OGD is around 16 €, Evan Williams around 19€. Don't know why Dickel is so expensive. Probably because no one buys it.
    Here you can look up the prices: https://www.getraenkewelt-weiser.de/...x=-1120&y=-133
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Connoisseur

Never tried it. I don't like Jack at all, so I just naturally figured they were pretty similar.

#12 is now on my list. I have heard good things about their Rye too.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Oh, and peated scotch tastes like band-aids to me. Never cared for JW Black all that much for that reason.

There are a lot of very good scotches out there that have little or no peat flavor in them.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Oh, and peated scotch tastes like band-aids to me
    YES! I'm so glad to see someone else say that too. I hear about the smoky taste, but all i get is band-aids. My buddies tell me to just give it time and I'll develop the palate for peated whisky. Till then that bottle of Laphroaig scotch will just sit on my shelf.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Guru

Peat flavor in scotch whisky (not all of them have it) is just one of those accidents of history that is now done intentionally in order to maintain a flavor profile. No reason why we should have to train ourselves to like it through.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AGarrison View Post
    YES! I'm so glad to see someone else say that too. I hear about the smoky taste, but all i get is band-aids. My buddies tell me to just give it time and I'll develop the palate for peated whisky. Till then that bottle of Laphroaig scotch will just sit on my shelf.
    I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.
    I'm with you. I much prefer bourbon now, but there are some I still enjoy, like J&B and Balvenie, and a couple of others, once in a while. I have to be in the mood. Same with gin.

With bourbon, or rye, it doesn't matter, it's always good.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    That should read.... "I like bourbon infinitely better."

"Better" is a very subjective term. I would guess there are many whisk(e)y fans that feel the opposite way you do. Just sayin'.