Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Re: George Dickel

This is my first post here. So it should go here since I've been a #12 fan for years as my go to. I went to the distillery in Cascade Hollow this weekend. I also picked up a bottle of Barrel Select, and two bottles from there first barrel of the "Hand Selected Barrel" line. It's 106 proof aged 14 years. It's pricey. I'm going to open one later this week.

Guru

Hey RT, welcome aboard. 106 proof gets my attention, some tasting notes please.

Disciple

Yes, RTR, welcome to the forum! Wow, the Hand Selected Barrel sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how you like it.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Yes, RTR, welcome to the forum! Wow, the Hand Selected Barrel sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how you like it.
    +1

Welcome to the board! I am very interested in your take on that expression.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 07-01-2013 at 12:47.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've actually been reading this board for a few years. I finally decided to join in on the fun. I got home this afternoon and picked up my bottle of George Dickel Hand Selected Barrel. This is like I said from the first barrel and only sold at the distillery, after you pick your bottle out you get to sign the barrel. Comes in the Barrel Select bottle with different labels of course stating the lines name, that it is aged 14 yrs, and bottled at 106 proof and a bronze medallion.

Nose - Not overly alcoholic for the proof, I got lots of vanilla, some maple syrup, and oaky... Corn is gone.

Taste - Starts really light picks up fast though with lots of Oak, some apricot, I detect a little cinnamon as it warms, the oak stays with it then as it is fading out it's all butterscotch, and vanilla. Very smooth.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first pour of this. It's expensive though so I'm going to try to take my time and savor this. I've been waiting and hoping Dickel would release something like this. Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

After sitting back and having a generous pour tonight of this. I feel like I know this one better. Still light at entry, mid it will give sides of your tongue a bit of a burn, smooth going down with very little burn at all. Flavors still that stand out to me vanilla, lots of oak, then butterscotch. This is damn good whisky. It's currently $98 a bottle wish it were cheaper I'd drink this over #12 any day.

Guru
    Thx RTR15 - I'm hoping to make it down there one of these days to score my own bottle.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Damn if I don't want that hand selected 14 yo bottle.

*Mapquests Lexington KY to Cascade Hollow

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Damn if I don't want that hand selected 14 yo bottle.

*Mapquests Lexington KY to Cascade Hollow
    Thinking the same thing (different route, though).

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTR15 View Post
    This is my first post here. So it should go here since I've been a #12 fan for years as my go to. I went to the distillery in Cascade Hollow this weekend. I also picked up a bottle of Barrel Select, and two bottles from there first barrel of the "Hand Selected Barrel" line. It's 106 proof aged 14 years. It's pricey. I'm going to open one later this week.
    Thanks for the intel, RTR. She doesn't know this yet, but my good customer in Nashville will be seeing me very soon... There is supposed to be a 9 yr 103 proof coming, too. Did you see or hear anything about that one?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama