Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Re: George Dickel

Wow, I just called and the first barrel is sold out! Was told a 2nd barrel of 14 yr old will be in the general store soon. Also, was told due to the size of the store there at Dickel they won't be carrying the 9 yr old and 14 yr old at the same time and probably will not resort to the 9yo til they run out of the (limited) qty of 14yo barrels. They said stores are able to buy the 9yo though. Glad I bought two bottles of the 14yo.

1st barrel lasted 2 1/2 weeks...

image.jpgimage.jpg Hoping the pics of the 14yo show up.

Guru

Now how close does this one come to answering the . . . 'what they should be doing' . . . threads.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTR15 View Post
    Wow, I just called and the first barrel is sold out! Was told a 2nd barrel of 14 yr old will be in the general store soon. Also, was told due to the size of the store there at Dickel they won't be carrying the 9 yr old and 14 yr old at the same time and probably will not resort to the 9yo til they run out of the (limited) qty of 14yo barrels. They said stores are able to buy the 9yo though. Glad I bought two bottles of the 14yo.
    Please keep me posted, so I know when to reschedule my call on my Nashville customer...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

I have never even tried George Dickel...this stuff sounds awesome!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I have never even tried George Dickel...this stuff sounds awesome!
    The Dickel 12 is great value for the money - I would definitely recommend trying it. I would love to try a 14 year old version based on the quality in the No. 12; that is a really nice find. Hopefully they'll do more of this.
    Mark

Guru

Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    The Dickel 12 is great value for the money - I would definitely recommend trying it. I would love to try a 14 year old version based on the quality in the No. 12; that is a really nice find. Hopefully they'll do more of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.
    Right you are gentlemen! I went out and grabbed a bottle based on your recommendations. I will be honest. My first impression was "oh well, its ok but nothing special." But, like a good SBer, I have learned to give things time and multiple tries. My second pour was very good. I did do something a little different. I split off some into a smaller bottle and placed in the freezer all day. I really enjoyed it.

While not a true bourbon, it has some mellow bourbon qualities. As I have mentioned in other threads, I am not very good at tasting notes but I definitely noted butterscotch and toffee followed by a nutty finish. Really different.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Always have one open. Not a frequent pour, bottle will usually last me a year or so, but every so often I just gotta have me a a taste of Dickel... as it is a classic.

As to the $98 Hand Select...I guess it's in line since it's missing the e .

Also interesting that the wide world of the internet appears to still be blog silent on the Hand Select. Possibly Diageo did not send advance samples to the cognoscenti?
    Thad

BTOTY-2011