Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Disciple

Re: George Dickel

I gotta say that GD12 is becoming one of my favorites, especially with diet coke. It's awhole lot better thatn JD7 and at much better price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Also interesting that the wide world of the internet appears to still be blog silent on the Hand Select. Possibly Diageo did not send advance samples to the cognoscenti?
    Maybe that's a good thing.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I gotta say that GD12 is becoming one of my favorites, especially with diet coke. It's awhole lot better thatn JD7 and at much better price.
    I sip GD12 neat much too good to mix. I mix Ole No. 7.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I believe you are 100% correct on this Squire. Let Dickel continue to produce barrels for Johnny Walker and produce fine Tennessee Sippin Whisky for us in the know.

I recently toured the Cascade Hollow Distillery, I was most impressed. It is like going back to the 50's. It is not overly processed at all. I hope it remains that way.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.
    This is a great discussion that brings back many wonderful memories. I was born and raised in TN and we were fortunate to be in on, what at that time, was this little secret (while the rest of the world was drinking JD).
    Last edited by Paddy; 08-17-2013 at 08:03.

Connoisseur

A handy bottle of #12 in the freezer is the perfect (and most gentle) way I have found to introduce a new whisk(e)y drinker to the realm.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    A handy bottle of #12 in the freezer is the perfect (and most gentle) way I have found to introduce a new whisk(e)y drinker to the realm.
    Dickel 12 is fine whiskey.

Connoisseur

In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics.

I think Diageo must be doing something to make this process very easy and appealing to the retailer, but I haven't gotten anything specific. I've been pushing locally for a retailer to do a Four Roses barrel proof selection, for my own selfish reasons, and in the hope that any increased interest in the brand that would start the flow of more of their products in the area. In the past, two of these retailers have asked me for help in selecting barrels from HH and BT, but not a peep this time. The other two I have asked specifically about the possibility of them doing a barrel selection, and they brushed it off as too difficult, or too specialized for their market.

I noticed also that they were really pushing the brand at Tales of the Cocktail this year, where in the past it was all Johnny Walker and Bulleit.

To summarize, I'm worried that a big multinational will be throwing its weight around to get retailers to all stock this homogeneous product that's not that great.

Guru

To call Diageo a heavyweight is an understatement.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics.

I think Diageo must be doing something to make this process very easy and appealing to the retailer, but I haven't gotten anything specific. I've been pushing locally for a retailer to do a Four Roses barrel proof selection, for my own selfish reasons, and in the hope that any increased interest in the brand that would start the flow of more of their products in the area. In the past, two of these retailers have asked me for help in selecting barrels from HH and BT, but not a peep this time. The other two I have asked specifically about the possibility of them doing a barrel selection, and they brushed it off as too difficult, or too specialized for their market.

I noticed also that they were really pushing the brand at Tales of the Cocktail this year, where in the past it was all Johnny Walker and Bulleit.

To summarize, I'm worried that a big multinational will be throwing its weight around to get retailers to all stock this homogeneous product that's not that great.
    The barrel select program does smack of style over substance but the George Dickel distillery is a national treasure. It is like going back in time. This is "craft" whisky in the most positive sense of the word.

I know they are owned by a multinational corporation but I think Diageo leaves them alone. They produce barrels for Johnnie Walker, Glenkinchie etc. They produce great and I mean great everyday whiskey at an even better everyday price. Dickel 12 is my favorite whiskey.