Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Connoisseur

Re: George Dickel

Distillers of all spirits sure like to proclaim the virtues of their water!

So, could the son in law possibly be defended by the differences in taste....of the water used?

Guru

Don't see how, by law the water used has to be tasteless as well.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    wow.....sounds like there's a story there!
    Not really. Other than an absurd preference for vodka over bourbon he is a decent chap. Another daughter, however, had the good sense to marry a man who prefers Booker's. And, Squire, it just happened to be a glass of Rain I had poured for that first fellow.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Other than marketing, then, is there any reason that vodka might benefit from being made with organic corn? My son-in-law claims he can taste a differences in vodkas. I point out that, by definition, there is no taste in vodka and differences might be attributable to mouth feel or smoothness related to more complete removal of congeners. Or am I as wrong about this as about letting him marry my daughter?
    What, exactly, makes the corn organic? Do they not use fertilizer? Is it non-GMO? No pesticides? If they don't use fertilizer, what about manure? I count manure as fertilizer. GMO just does very quickly what would take a very long time crossing one plant with another.
    There's no way anybody can taste the difference between vodka made from regular corn and vodka made from "organic" corn, everything else being the same.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Virtuoso

Not an expert on GMO, but GMO grains are modified (at least in one way) to produce more of a natural pesticide than the plant would otherwise normally produce as a defense against insect damage. They are also bred to be more resistant to herbicides, so you can spray herbicides more liberally without hurting the plant, but that increased herbicide might end up in your food.

To me the issue isn't whether you can taste the difference (because you are probably right that you couldn't taste the difference), but whether any of these chemicals would distill over, whether they would cause yeasts during fermentation to produce other non-desirous compounds that could distill over, at what increased concentration if they do go over and whether or not they would be cut out in the heads/tails anyway or whether they'd end up in the heart.
    Last edited by sutton; 12-26-2013 at 15:09.
    Mark

Guru

We don't have anything other than their word. Of course, even a field certified as organic will quickly cross pollinate with the GMO cornfield next door and for that we do have evidence. It's all No. 2 Dent corn anyway and there's no difference in flavor of the distillates.

As for taste differences in vodka yes, there can be some, though slight. The harshness of GNS can be softened as proven in an experiment awhile back by our own Dr. Bunsen Honeydew (Gary Gillman) who ran some cheap vodka through a Brita filter.

I used to could tell a difference in vodkas, but that was 20 years ago before they quadruple distilled before adding raspberry and bubblegum. Maybe could tell a difference now if I tried them, but not gonna. Who'd waste their time on vodka when there's plenty o' good whiskey to drink? And if ya ever get tired of whiskey, there's always whisky.

Enthusiast

So, getting back to Dickel, do people generally find it less smoky than Jack Daniels, but more smoky than bourbon?
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

That's my take on it Pete.

Enthusiast

In that case, I'll stick with bourbon.
    Pete

I hate scotch.