Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Guru

Re: George Dickel

Dickel No. 12 is a good one and under appreciated.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Dickel No. 12 is a good one and under appreciated.
    Of course it should get it's due, but being somewhat obscure does have benefits for it's customers.

Guru

You're right about that, God help us if the trendsetters ever get the idea Dickel is rare and hard to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics. .
    Different tastes for different people. I've found both the 9 and 14 year old Hand selected barrels to be extraordinary.

Enthusiast

Dickel Master Distiller to visit The Porch tomorrow and we plan to start the ball rolling for some private barrel picks in the future. (Probably early April) Those of you who enjoy Dickel have any suggestions to offer? Would love the input. Post here or PM. Thanks
    Jon

Guru

Ask him if all their whisky is aged in single story warehouses.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've long been interested in historic preservation and have observed that neglect is often preservation's best friend. If there's no economic incentive to tear down and replace the quaint 19th century core of a small town, it gets 'preserved.' That's Dickel's story. It was built late in the post-prohibition era, begun in 1958. It was modern then--it's not pre-pro or anything--but they've done almost nothing to it since, so now Dickel is the only major distillery that is still all-analog. No computer process controls. What I give them credit for is figuring out how to turn their out-of-date facility into a marketing plus. That's clever.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I've long been interested in historic preservation and have observed that neglect is often preservation's best friend. If there's no economic incentive to tear down and replace the quaint 19th century core of a small town, it gets 'preserved.' That's Dickel's story. It was built late in the post-prohibition era, begun in 1958. It was modern then--it's not pre-pro or anything--but they've done almost nothing to it since, so now Dickel is the only major distillery that is still all-analog. No computer process controls. What I give them credit for is figuring out how to turn their out-of-date facility into a marketing plus. That's clever.
    At the same time imho they turn out a better product than their competitor down the road. I recent toured the distillery it is definitely not overly processed.

I am glad they are owned by Diageo, this probably somewhat insulates Dickel from the pressure to over perform in the market.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post
    Different tastes for different people. I've found both the 9 and 14 year old Hand selected barrels to be extraordinary.
    I agree. I'm not typically one to cheer for Diageo, but I'd be very happy if they manage to get retailer selections of Dickel Barrel Select 9 and 14 into a lot of local stores. I'd buy either one over plenty of other whiskies in their respective price ranges.

And I have to respectfully disagree that the Dickel 9 and 14 don't have any outstanding characteristics. To me, their most significant traits are smoothness, a great balance between sweetness and barrel influence, and (with a little air) a small, pleasant amount of the gravelly/Flintstones vitamin flavor present in most Dickels I've tried. Yes, that makes them easy to drink but to me, that's not the same as lacking character. Their character is drinkability without dullness -- a term I'd also use to describe pours like Weller 12, FRSmB, or Johnnie Walker Black without intending it as a slight.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Ask him if all their whisky is aged in single story warehouses.
    I toured the distillery this summer and the warehouse did not seem to be single story. They did have stack the barrels on racks. Still, ask the question.