Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: George Dickel

Re: George Dickel

Not the first white dog to cost more than aged, especially if it's just a short time release. Look at BT white dog when if showed up on shelves.

Guru

so, what is the difference in white whiskey and vodka? assuming you make vodka from grains and not potatoes, what IS the difference? I know, in the case of Dickel, there's likely a charcoal filtering going on before bottling, but some vodkas also charcoal filter.

Someone clue me in, vodka is cheap, so why would one want to buy white whiskey?

Enthusiast

My understanding is vodka is distilled to a much higher proof to obliterate any grain influence on the resulting spirit.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    so, what is the difference in white whiskey and vodka? assuming you make vodka from grains and not potatoes, what IS the difference? I know, in the case of Dickel, there's likely a charcoal filtering going on before bottling, but some vodkas also charcoal filter.

Someone clue me in, vodka is cheap, so why would one want to buy white whiskey?
    You can pretty much use anything your want to make vodka (melted tire rubber, tree bark, molasses, deer piss, corn, 'taters, ginseng and/or whatever else floats your boat). On the other hand, most U. S. white liquor has traditionally been corn based.

Currently there is a huge novelty market for corn liquor/moonshine (especially flavored). Sadly, it is taking up a lot of the shelf space where good bourbon should be now (and it's a damn shame, because most folks don't have access to good moonshine and/or don't know how to flavor vodka or pure grain to make something so close to the same thing that they wouldn't know the difference)!

Have you seen the prices folks are paying for flavored white/corn liquor in the big box stores?

As for me....I buy white spirits (vodka) for bloody Mary's, vodka tonics and lubricating pretty girls!

P. S. On topic....I've not had any GD in weeks!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    My understanding is vodka is distilled to a much higher proof to obliterate any grain influence on the resulting spirit.
    Yes vodka has to be distilled to at least 190pr which removes just about all flavoring compounds. A charcoal filtering is then used to remove any remaining flavor.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Disciple

JD, JB, & GD are all going after a different market segment than the tried and true Bourbon drinker. If it knocks some of the multiple bottles of low proof "moonshine" off the shelf it's all good.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    Other than marketing, then, is there any reason that vodka might benefit from being made with organic corn? My son-in-law claims he can taste a differences in vodkas. I point out that, by definition, there is no taste in vodka and differences might be attributable to mouth feel or smoothness related to more complete removal of congeners. Or am I as wrong about this as about letting him marry my daughter?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

The organic vodka Rain has a thicker texture (Stolichnaya achieves the same thing by adding sugar) than the standard MGP stuff most producers use but it's mostly marketing.

Any domestic produced vodka must by law be "tasteless, odorless and colorless" so they identifiably have no difference in taste.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Or am I as wrong about this as about letting him marry my daughter?

wow.....sounds like there's a story there!

Guru

One I would never ask but I would offer the chap a drink.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.