Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Ohio: Bourbon desert or home of unappreciated brands?

Hey Scott - you forgot about Old Dan Tucker. That MUST be state's most unappreciated brand. You Ohio boys have it good!
    Last edited by mosugoji64; 12-23-2012 at 16:36.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Oh that's a great name, somebody tell me about Old Dan Tucker.

Trippah and Admin

It's a diluted bourbon sold in some of the finest gas stations and convenience stores in the state.

Ohio allows 42 proof "diluted" spirits to be sold, so there's a whole line of diluted crap that you can get if so inclined.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Old Dan Tucker was a fine old man
    He washed his face in the frying pan
    He combed his hair with a wagon wheel
    And died of the toothache in his heel
    Get out the way for old Dan Tucker
    He's too late to git his supper

Guru

How could it be both 'diluted' and Bourbon on the same label? Oh, never mind, I can look that up if my interest holds long enough to type it in.

Advanced Taster

In discussing this topic with a local retailer, in terms of the BTAC, I heard that this last year the great state of Ohio managed to get a grand total of three bottles of GTS... and that's it. No ER 17, no Handy, No W.L. Weller and certainly no Saz 18.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    In discussing this topic with a local retailer, in terms of the BTAC, I heard that this last year the great state of Ohio managed to get a grand total of three bottles of GTS... and that's it. No ER 17, no Handy, No W.L. Weller and certainly no Saz 18.

I think retailers tell some interesting tales in Ohio. I know of a few places in Dayton area that serve GTS and/or Saz. I've "heard" that Ohio gets WLW but only sends it to one county for a specific retailer. My local retailer had Saz but would not sell me one because they said they "had to sell it" to a specific restaurant. I called bullshit in this, said who they sold to was their decision, not the State of Ohio's. I emailed the state and the reply said , because of three tier, state has no input on where bottles go once they get to the retailer.

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=ebo;314617]I know I can probably get "some" different stuff if I'm willing to travel 20 or more miles for it. I'm not willing to waste the gas or the time on it, so, I suppose that's on me. I can pretty much mail order anything I want, but... someone of age has to be available for delivery.

From Toledo, it is 200 miles to KY. I never drive that far just for bourbon but I pass through KY a half dozen times a year and always stock up at Liquor Barn and/or TPS. It is not just the rare bottlings of super premium that are unavailable in OH. I buy at least one handle of AAA 10YO every chance I get. In OH, they only sell 10 Star and the regular AA. As for mail order, the shipping charges are higher than the purchase price of most value pours. As a matter of principle, I object to the state limiting my access. In "free states," if one store doesn't have what you want you can go to another store. In OH, the other stores don't have it either.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

[QUOTE=Flyfish;314743]
    Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I know I can probably get "some" different stuff if I'm willing to travel 20 or more miles for it. I'm not willing to waste the gas or the time on it, so, I suppose that's on me. I can pretty much mail order anything I want, but... someone of age has to be available for delivery.

From Toledo, it is 200 miles to KY. I never drive that far just for bourbon but I pass through KY a half dozen times a year and always stock up at Liquor Barn and/or TPS. It is not just the rare bottlings of super premium that are unavailable in OH. I buy at least one handle of AAA 10YO every chance I get. In OH, they only sell 10 Star and the regular AA. As for mail order, the shipping charges are higher than the purchase price of most value pours. As a matter of principle, I object to the state limiting my access. In "free states," if one store doesn't have what you want you can go to another store. In OH, the other stores don't have it either.
    Exactly. I don't mail order much of anything anymore. It's the lack of availability in Ohio that pisses me off.

If we can have 10 star, why can't we have 10 year old? If we can have OGD BiB, why can't we have 114? If we can have HH Old Style, why can't we have HH BiB?

I guess I don't understand why we can only have certain offerings from a distiller/brand, but we can't get the rest of what they offer. Ohio is a whisk(e)y desert, IMO.

Advanced Taster

I will give Ohio credit for having Old Ezra 101 for only $14.

I have made the hour round trip to buy a few bottles more than once.

(Ohioans should also be happy you can mail order bourbon, the Commonwealth of PA forbids such transactions.)
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.