Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Connoisseur

Re: Ohio: Bourbon desert or home of unappreciated brands?

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Ohio is a whisk(e)y desert, IMO.
    If you think Ohio is a whisk(e)y desert you should cross to the other side of Lake Ontario. In our desert, oases occasionally appear where our local government monopoly requires the exchange of gold bars for adult beverages. In 2010-11 such gold bars translated into $4.7 billion in sales and $1.63 billion "dividend to the Ontario government, not including taxes". This is justified to "pay for health care, education and other important services".

... end of thread jack.

Virtuoso

I went to the Fisher's store today. I went to get EC12, George Dickel Barrel Select and Ardmore traditional cask. None of those have been available for over a month. Fisher's is the best liquor store in the area. Are these no longer available in Ohio...... or just my area?

Advanced Taster

I've never seen any of the above in Ohio, or most of what is discussed on these forums for that matter

Advanced Taster

Ohio's selection sucks for the most part. While we may get most of the Beam products and other high production products from various distilleries, it is damn near impossible if not completely impossible to get a lot of the limited selections. I'm not even talking about Pappy or BTAC, but good luck trying to order in a PHC, willett, or even the LE Four Roses offerings. I am just lucky that I have been able to snag some of the offerings from PA (all thanks to a fellow SB'er) and my wife doesn't mind making a weekend (or longer, it takes about 5 hours to get to the border) trip down to KY for some bourbon hunting.

A part of me wishes that I could just walk into my local state store and pick up any bottle that my heart desired, but to be honest I like the thrill of the hunt as well. When I am finally able to track down a bottle I've been after, either by traveling to get it or through a contact I make on this site, and crack it open it adds that little bit extra enjoyment to that first pour.

Trippah and Admin

The state will order in anything that meets the following criteria:

The distributor will allocate a case of the product to the state.
    You will buy the entire case.

If Ohio isn't on the allocation list, that's not the states fault. Especially when if comes to highly allocated products.

I have been a party to many special order attempts. Some succeeded, some did not.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Is there a reason why I can't find EC12 in my area? It's always been readily available untill recently. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence that every place I've purchased it is just out of stock at the same time.