Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by passthebourbon View Post
    Excited to try this one.
    The 2011 doesn't get the lauds of the 2012, but I have very much been enjoying my bottle of it.

Enthusiast

Was lucky enough to find two bottles of 4RSB LE 2012 still on the shelf, brought one home with me as a back up to my open bottle.

Advanced Taster

Bought bottles of Weller 107, my go-to 4RSB and Walthens. This is my first bottle of Walthens so I'm eager to try it.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Connoisseur

Broke down and bought my first bottle of the year, I've been tempted to grab a few things here and there, but mostly those would have just been extras of bottles I already have. Stopped in a store I've never been in before this evening and the had a Willet Family 4 year SB Bourbon. First Willet SB bourbon I've seen in GA so I jumped. I've enjoyed the 4 and 5 year ryes I've bought locally and can't say I haven't enjoyed any of the Willet's I've tried (outside of the pot one), so I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Enthusiast

I went back for the last PHC '12 on the shelf today.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Broke down and bought my first bottle of the year, I've been tempted to grab a few things here and there, but mostly those would have just been extras of bottles I already have. Stopped in a store I've never been in before this evening and the had a Willet Family 4 year SB Bourbon. First Willet SB bourbon I've seen in GA so I jumped. I've enjoyed the 4 and 5 year ryes I've bought locally and can't say I haven't enjoyed any of the Willet's I've tried (outside of the pot one), so I'm looking forward to trying this one.
    Did this have the copper colored wax top? Picked up that one a week or so ago. A little hot on its own but some water helps tame it into a nice drink.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    EH Taylor Small Batch and a 375ml bottle of Eagle Rare 10 Year... been curious to try it.

The CEHT Small Batch got a mention in the most recent Spirits Journal blog.

"Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch - I was bit on the fence about this Bourbon at first, but something really clicked after tasting it again yesterday. At first I thought it was just Old Weller Antique, but at a higher price. After another go Tuesday night, there really is much more to like about this whiskey. The richness is really quite lovely and it stays with you longer into the finish. After drinking it next to the OWA, there's really no comparison. The Taylor Small Batch isn't a hot deal, but it is a lovely Bourbon. I'm probably good for one after my next paycheck."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement! Surprised by the comparison to OWA. I am sure a wheated bourbon could be similar to a ryed bourbon in flavor and I don't have any OWA on hand for comparison but the CEHT Small Batch is not particularly similar to Weller 12 to me. Is the OWA that much different from Weller 12?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The CEHT Small Batch got a mention in the most recent Spirits Journal blog.

"Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch - I was bit on the fence about this Bourbon at first, but something really clicked after tasting it again yesterday. At first I thought it was just Old Weller Antique, but at a higher price. After another go Tuesday night, there really is much more to like about this whiskey. The richness is really quite lovely and it stays with you longer into the finish. After drinking it next to the OWA, there's really no comparison. The Taylor Small Batch isn't a hot deal, but it is a lovely Bourbon. I'm probably good for one after my next paycheck."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement! Surprised by the comparison to OWA. I am sure a wheated bourbon could be similar to a ryed bourbon in flavor and I don't have any OWA on hand for comparison but the CEHT Small Batch is not particularly similar to Weller 12 to me. Is the OWA that much different from Weller 12?
    Sorry, but I won't be able to provide much insight with that. Sounded like an interesting bourbon so I picked it to set aside for a later date when my palate will be a bit better able to pick up on some more nuances of these bourbons. For now I'm really still focusing on the 'mid shelf' type stuff to get a feel for it all.

Grabbed an age stated WSR, HW Rendezvous and payed for and am patiently awaiting arrival of a VOF distilled in 1953 and bottled in 1961

Apprentice

I ran across some Willett Family Reserve 7 year 126 proof today. Saw them at 2 different stores. Picked one up to add to the collection. I still have a Willett 17 year FR that I haven't cracked open yet. Also saw 6 - 4R LE SMB and left them on the shelf. Already have one unopened in the cabinet. Probably going to wish I had picked up another, but knowing where this store is, $65 bourbon doesn't move fast.