Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 40 of 78 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Reloaded my supply of Bulleit, and picked up a JDSB. I've been curious about that one for a while.

I've had good luck with JDSB. Let us know what you think.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Re: What did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by thiemb View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 because my current bottle is running low.
    You may want to get yourself a bottle of OWA too and try the SB combo. Tastes just right for me doing the 50/50 mix.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

What bourbon did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Please, please let us know what you think of the Breckenridge. I've been singing its praises since my first bottle. It's astonishingly interesting bourbon, period. When I consider how young it is, it's even more astonishing.
    When I had this I came away impressed. I will say that just because the age statement is young, doesn't mean the whiskey in the bottle is. I'd be very surprised if they're not currently using juice that has been aged well beyond their claim.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

My friend the FedEx guy delivered:

OGD 114
    CEHT Rye
    Ezra B 12 yr
    KC Rye
    Willett Rye 5 yr

Unfortunately the Willett appears to have sprung a leak. The shipping box smells wonderful but the styrofoam got some of my whiskey.

Taster

that has never happened to me berto, but it does concern me whenever i order online (which is frequently). i guess given that many places only ship liquor in state or not at all, there is not much liquor specific packaging (could we get an SB patent for such a device and fund some communal booze at the gazebo?). As such when bottles get put into wine packaging they often get turned upside down or rest on their side. Not a problem for wine, not ideal for bourbon. I just received two WLW12 that were delivered on their side in wine packaging and i thanked my lucky stars none of that leaked out...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Please, please let us know what you think of the Breckenridge. I've been singing its praises since my first bottle. It's astonishingly interesting bourbon, period. When I consider how young it is, it's even more astonishing.
    I'm enjoying a generous pour right now at the end of a busy day. I like the Breckenridge quite a bit. It is surprisingly flavorful considering its age. My only hesitation to a full endorsement is that it is 86 proof and the price point ($39.49 locally). I guess that I have gotten into the mindset that when you get to that price range, you should expect a whiskey that is higher proof and/or 10+ years old. The other side of the coin is that it is still a very affordable and interesting bourbon. I will likely buy another when this one is gone.

Connoisseur

treated myself to a day of fun for the b-day and picked up the following on my travels.

PHC 2012 x2
    4R LE SmB 2012
    and a EC 18yr, that was really 21yr when bottled.

Also picked up a Bourye, but that got traded away amongst the travels. The look of surprise on their face when it was pulled out, certainly made for a enjoyable time.

Also got to nose a killer smelling Willett 9yr sample bottle, that I will need to go back and get when ever they come in. Carmelicious bomb it was. Stunning nose. Sadly not enough left in the bottle for a sample, but enough to get a good whiff. Heaven.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast

Just picked up a 1.75L of age stated OWA. Looking forward to trying some of the SB blend!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KySalesRep View Post
    Just picked up a 1.75L of age stated OWA. Looking forward to trying some of the SB blend!
    I think you'll like it but you may have to make adjustments to your personal tastes until you hit the sweet spot. I started with 50/50 but am closer to 60/40 (OWA/Weller 12) at this point because I enjoy the extra heat. See what you come up with. With a 1.75L bottle of OWA you've got plenty of time to experiment.

Guru

My idea of 50/50 is me and a bottle.