Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    My first bottles of BTAC turned out to be .... the 2012 edition: 66.2% ABV
    Considering your location I am surprised you got any, so you did good.
    That Handy is nice and better than the Saz and Eagle.
    ovh

Novice

Over the past few months i have been building up a relationship with a local package store owner. he was able to get me two bottles of ritthse rye and baby sazs. I stop in about once a week to say hi and check the isles making sure I pick up a bottle here and there. Stoped in this morning looking for a bottle of WT Tradition (yeh I know, fat chance) When he asked if he could help I asked and to my surprise he said "hold on a minute" he went into the back and came out with a white box. He indicated that this was from his private stash but he would sell it to me.....SCORE.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    Over the past few months i have been building up a relationship with a local package store owner. he was able to get me two bottles of ritthse rye and baby sazs. I stop in about once a week to say hi and check the isles making sure I pick up a bottle here and there. Stoped in this morning looking for a bottle of WT Tradition (yeh I know, fat chance) When he asked if he could help I asked and to my surprise he said "hold on a minute" he went into the back and came out with a white box. He indicated that this was from his private stash but he would sell it to me.....SCORE.
    Gundog - I've found that to be invaluable. Once I had a good relationship with my local store, all I need to do is ask!

Advanced Taster

Bought OFBB 2012, EWSB 2002, and a bottle of Pikesville Supreme Straight Rye.

Advanced Taster

Picked up a bottle of Rare Breed, CEHT Small Batch, Prichard's double chocolate (I'll try damn near anything), and a bottle of Watershed bourbon.

Advanced Taster

Planned on getting the OFBB 2012 and missed out on a FR1BLE2012 (Doh!) so I made up for it by getting two whiskeys: the CEHT Small Batch and Old Pulteny 12 in addition to the OFBB 2012.

Apprentice

Four bottles of Rendezvous Rye at $40 a piece shipping included. Just couldn't say no.

Taster

Walked into a previously unvisited store while out shopping on my day off and was glancing at the bourbon kind of half heartedly as I had my 18 month old daughter with me who was excited by all the colorful and differently shaped bottles. I walked past the first section, and then had a flashback and realized I saw something I shouldn't have. Went back and there sitting on the top shelf in all their glory were a few different bottles of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. Jackpot!

None of the stores I regularly frequent even allow this stuff to see the light of day generally, it's all waiting list/random drawing/held for themselves and friends. I grabbed what I wanted and chatted up the fellow in charge of ordering as they seemed to have a very well rounded selection of bourbon, although not huge. Apparantly the town they are in, even though it is small, does a decent amount of bourbon buying, which means the store buys a fair amount of bourbon from their distributor. In turn the distributor gives them a decent allotment. They even get a fairly decent amount of Pappy according to the fellow I was speaking to. Their prices were pretty good too (BTAC was $69 which is MSRP), which hasn't been my experience with smaller town liquor stores. I get out that way quite frequently so I'll be stopping by and becoming a regular customer for sure.

~SW

Guru

Good find. You're lucky they weren't charging $120-$160 for BTAC like a lot of places do.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Good find. You're lucky they weren't charging $120-$160 for BTAC like a lot of places do.
    I know, it is why I will be giving them a good portion of my business in the future. Very nice place, and will special order stuff and not overcharge as well. He will special order 2 or more bottles of Weller 12, and charge less or the same as most places that carry it. I've only found one place in state that sold it cheaper, and they closed down unexpectedly within the last couple of weeks.

~SW