Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Yes, Steve. It was from Leo's and they may have a problem with their lines. If it's still on tap, I'm going to ask for a sample to consume in the store and see if I get the same reaction. If not, maybe it was the growler itself which I rather doubt. There's only one way to find out!
    That wasn't meant to be a diss on Leo's -- I just don't know many places to get GI growler fills! I enjoyed my first sojourn there Friday night before the Brixie's barrel-aged madness; as I was driving my city friends back to the train station after the Brix we detoured to Leo's so they could pick up some barrel-aged Firestone-Walker stuff that I'd noticed.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Thursday night flight at Lexington Beerworks with Founders Breakfast, Three Floyd's Alpha King, Bells Expedition, and Schneider Aventinus.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Thursday night flight at Lexington Beerworks with Founders Breakfast, Three Floyd's Alpha King, Bells Expedition, and Schneider Aventinus.
    Beerworks is a great place.

Guru

Yup. Love tha place. Gotta be sure to go back for their anniversary week for some Zombie Dust and Utopias.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Okaaay. There goes a 3 day work week that felt like 8. So, grabbing a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock from the fridge. I only have this beer at this time of year, as it's usually the last ones I pull from the SA Holiday Pack. And, each time, my impressions of it change. Sometimes, I've loved it. Sometimes, too syrupy sweet. Sometimes, too chocolatey. Sometimes, bland. Well, this one is hitting my palate just right. Perfect texture, and the sweetness is toned down, and the cocoa is just right. More bitter than sweet, and at just the right balance for me. Since the chocolate notes are hittin' right with me at the moment, maybe it's time to mosey on over to that OGD 114 sittin' on the bar....Hey, ol' feller...got a pour left in ye?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Doing a little prep for my Fathers bday dinner tomorrow and having a Dogfish Head Burton Baton.

Enthusiast

I'm really enjoying the Woodchuck reserve bourbon-barrel-aged cider. I often have a cider or NG Apple Ale along with my bourbon, so the appeal to me is obvious.

Also had a Chimay blue that has been in my fridge for a few years last night. Exquisite!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

Some Guinness Extra Stout tonight that I forgot I had. It's been in the back of my beer fridge for... awhile.

Trippah and Admin

Italian beef sandwiches with fried peppers on the dinner menu along with a cold Brownstone ale by Sixpoint.

I think this is another beer that the GBS leadership would enjoy. The hops are offset by a nice level of maltiness and at 6% abv, the alcohol is not forward at all.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Did the cold-aging hurt the Guinness? I think that is the one brewed in Canada. It should be good cold.

Today I had a draft German dark lager with the odd-sounding name Thurn und Taxis. (Odd-sounding to American and Canadian ears I mean). The name, which might be mistaken for a venerable literary movement with Romantic leanings, relates to a German family I understand, a distinguished old family which once owned a brewery which brewed beers of this name in Munich. The well-known Paulaner brewery bought them out about 20 years ago but keeps the brand going and the beer is as good as ever. The dark has a dryish, coffee-like taste - not expresso, which to keep the metaphor going would characterize more strong porter or stout - but tan or brown coffee of an even-tempered palate, say mocha, that type. There was good interleaved bitterness too, not the pilsener kind which can taste of hay or a lane in dense farm country, but steely mineral-like hops. Usually I find German draft beer here just doesn't taste quite right, too chemically or something, but this one was perfect, and served in a handsome stoneware mug that seduced my usual resolve to drink only from plain glass (with no label please, e.g. I cannot drink from the glasses Guinness has developed for its draft stout, the lurid label puts me off).

And so that is what I had to drink today for beer, just one and it was perfect.

Gary