Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 460
  1. #61
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    331

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    This is my favorite everyday beer. Great on its own, great with food; I feel very privileged to have regular access to this stuff fresh. I just recently tried what many consider its equal, if not superior, Pliny the Elder. I love it! It tastes a bit bigger than the ZD, and while the hops are perhaps just as present, they aren't quite as direct as the single hop strain used in the ZD. If I lived on the West Coast, I'd drink Pliny all the time, but being that I'm a Chicagoan with a soft spot for the FFF house profile, I'm more than happy to keep my ZD.
    Totally agree about ZD. I always try to keep some in the fridge. Never tried Pliny the Elder before but I'll have to look for some the next time I'm out west. If you're looking for another great similarly hoppy beer check out Anderson Valley Heelch O Hops. It's available at a couple places around Chicago.

  2. #62
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    MOLINE,IL
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Settled in tonight with a Squatter's Outer Darkness and it is really spot on the 10.5% ABV doesn't hurt either!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

  3. #63
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    2,959

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Having a Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge. Never seen this around here before, so either I'm not paying attention or we have some new distribution in these parts. Either way WOWEE. This is some damned fine stuff.

  4. #64
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Moylan's Hopsickle = Yuck. Why do so many of the west coast brewers insist on bringing out the bitterness of hops instead of focusing on the hops' great flavors (fruit, citrus, mint, etc.?)

  5. #65
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,573

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Picked up a 2013 Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye today. It's my after dinner beverage of choice, this evening. A nice beer, with one of the most prolific heads of any beer I've poured in recent memory, I'll admit. A nice drinker, but for the most part, uninspiring. I just don't get the whole rye beer thing. It seems the more brands I try of these, the less I get of the "spicy", "peppery", "blah-blah-blah", that the label says it is going to impart. I can't help but think it's simply a play on the recent rye whiskey binge from the crafts, and with no real benefits. Am I whacked, here? Anywho, there's nothing wrong with it, but any suggestion that it is going to give me what I get from a good rye whiskey is pure folly.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  6. #66
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,079

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Picked up a 2013 Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye today. It's my after dinner beverage of choice, this evening. A nice beer, with one of the most prolific heads of any beer I've poured in recent memory, I'll admit. A nice drinker, but for the most part, uninspiring. I just don't get the whole rye beer thing. It seems the more brands I try of these, the less I get of the "spicy", "peppery", "blah-blah-blah", that the label says it is going to impart. I can't help but think it's simply a play on the recent rye whiskey binge from the crafts, and with no real benefits. Am I whacked, here? Anywho, there's nothing wrong with it, but any suggestion that it is going to give me what I get from a good rye whiskey is pure folly.
    I love Sierra Nevada but I agree with you regarding the Ruthless Rye. I'm amazed (or maybe relieved) that it's one of their seasonal releases.

  7. #67
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,280

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    I picked up two 6-packs of Bells Hopslam today, just released.
    I see they were bottled one week ago today, January 3, 2013.
    I poured one in a large snifter and put my large bulbous nose in it and it was like cutting open a fresh grapefruit and squeezing it in my face,....
    Nothing like fresh Michigan beer!!
    ovh

  8. #68
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,079

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I picked up two 6-packs of Bells Hopslam today, just released.
    I see they were bottled one week ago today, January 3, 2013.
    I poured one in a large snifter and put my large bulbous nose in it and it was like cutting open a fresh grapefruit and squeezing it in my face,....
    Nothing like fresh Michigan beer!!
    JEALOUS!

    Supposedly it hits KY at the end of the month. Can't wait!!

  9. #69
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,280

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    JEALOUS!

    Supposedly it hits KY at the end of the month. Can't wait!!
    I'll trade you MI beer for KY bourbon anytime my Brother.
    ovh

  10. #70
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    2,959

    Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

    Wonder if Beerworks will have any the week of their anniversary. Bet so. That's what they opened with last year.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Beer Are You Drinking? - Winter 2011/2012
    By jcg9779 in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 08:16
  2. What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11
    By HipFlask in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 17:55
  3. What Beer are you Drinking - Winter 09/10
    By HipFlask in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 15:41
  4. What beer are you drinking Winter '08/'09
    By barturtle in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 05:57
  5. What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)
    By CrispyCritter in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 628
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 21:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top