Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I picked up two 6-packs of Bells Hopslam today, just released.
    I see they were bottled one week ago today, January 3, 2013.
    I poured one in a large snifter and put my large bulbous nose in it and it was like cutting open a fresh grapefruit and squeezing it in my face,....
    Nothing like fresh Michigan beer!!
    Sounds like they did a good job on the hops in that one. I'll have to look for it.

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Drinking a new one tonight, French Connection from the Squatters brewpub in SLC. It's a pale ale, on tap at the brewpub only, apparently made with a new variety of hops crossbred from Cascade and a French hop.

I liked it enough at lunch today to buy a growler full and I'm enjoying it again tonight. I get a lot of hoppy flavors and aromas without too much bitterness. It's unfiltered, which is pretty typical for Squatters pale ales. Unfortunately, since it is served on tap in Utah, it is 4% ABV.

I also picked up a bottle of Squatters Fifth Element, which is decidedly NOT 4% ABV.
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 01-10-2013 at 18:55.
    Jim

Guru

Okay. So Deschutes beer has FINALLY made it to Illinois. I saw it for the first time last week and grabbed sixpacks of the Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter. (Didn't they miss an opportunity by not calling it Big Butte Porter?) I haven't tried the porter yet but the pale ale was superb. This isn't a particularly hoppy pale ale (nor should it be) but it is faithful to the traditional English style, with judicious use of hops to give it a wonderful floral aroma and just a tinge of bite to it. What really impressed me was the body/mouth-feel which was silky and full. Very nice, indeed! Now I need to find their IPA and ESB to compare them all. You guys out west have been lucky to drink this beer for so long!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

The limited Deschutes releases are really good too. Hop in the Dark is one of my favorites, and in general I have liked all I've tried and I never hesitate to pick up a new one when I see it.
    Jim

Guru

Picked up a New Holland Blue Sunday Sour 2012 vintage today. Anybody had this before? I am inclined to tuck this in the back and let a sit a year or so. But curious if it is worth a second bottle to drink now and be able to compare.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Picked up a New Holland Blue Sunday Sour 2012 vintage today. Anybody had this before? I am inclined to tuck this in the back and let a sit a year or so. But curious if it is worth a second bottle to drink now and be able to compare.
    Sounds good, but I have not had it. Why not get another one and taste it? Is it relatively expensive?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Okay. So Deschutes beer has FINALLY made it to Illinois. I saw it for the first time last week and grabbed sixpacks of the Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter. (Didn't they miss an opportunity by not calling it Big Butte Porter?) I haven't tried the porter yet but the pale ale was superb. This isn't a particularly hoppy pale ale (nor should it be) but it is faithful to the traditional English style, with judicious use of hops to give it a wonderful floral aroma and just a tinge of bite to it. What really impressed me was the body/mouth-feel which was silky and full. Very nice, indeed! Now I need to find their IPA and ESB to compare them all. You guys out west have been lucky to drink this beer for so long!
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    The limited Deschutes releases are really good too. Hop in the Dark is one of my favorites, and in general I have liked all I've tried and I never hesitate to pick up a new one when I see it.
    Binny's had bombers of the Hop Henge Experimental, a very nice IIPA. So far I've enjoyed that as well as Mirror Pond (nice enough, but not wowed -- I've become a hop head!), Chainbreaker White IPA (more of a weiss than an IPA to me; pretty tasty) and the Red Chair NWPA, a seasonal APA that hit all of the right notes.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Sounds good, but I have not had it. Why not get another one and taste it? Is it relatively expensive?
    No, I suppose not. Probably should have gotten two while I was there. I expect it will be as expensive to drive to the store and back as the bottle costs! If it is still there when I go again I will just pick another up.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

You're probably right! I "age" my beers sometimes. Usually, only if it's a limited release or hard to find or I just can't drink more than one or two in a sitting (12 ABV+.) So, then I can have some at a much later date up to a couple of years. It really depends on the beer, but I don't usually see a huge dfference in taste other than some of the bolder styles will mellow out a little.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    You're probably right! I "age" my beers sometimes. Usually, only if it's a limited release or hard to find or I just can't drink more than one or two in a sitting (12 ABV+.) So, then I can have some at a much later date up to a couple of years. It really depends on the beer, but I don't usually see a huge dfference in taste other than some of the bolder styles will mellow out a little.
    In theory a bottle conditioned sour beer like this should change at least some over time. Unless I get one and drink it now for comparison it will be hard to know! Of course then I have to remember what it tasted like when I drink the other one a year or two later.

But I have trouble remember this morning as it is...