Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Hopslam, hibernation ale, rumble, Sam Adams noble pils, Sam Adams IPA, Old 21 and a pint of miller lite. Now to go post in the what bourbon are you drinking forum. Going to be a rough morning.

Mike

Connoisseur

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Started the evening with a Laughing Dog Brewing "The Dogfather". Over carbonated, too much green oak, not much Bourbon flavor. Where did they source their barrels, Jim Beam and the spent barrels that make up Devils Cut? Almost a drain pour but I manned up and drank the bomber. Turned to quality Bourbon pours post haste!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    Started the evening with a Laughing Dog Brewing "The Dogfather". Over carbonated, too much green oak, not much Bourbon flavor. Where did they source their barrels, Jim Beam and the spent barrels that make up Devils Cut? Almost a drain pour but I manned up and drank the bomber. Turned to quality Bourbon pours post haste!
    Yeah -- I renamed that one "The Dogwater" when I tried it last year. It was my first bad barrel-aged stout. (The Bourbon Barrel Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Company was my second.)
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Yeah -- I renamed that one "The Dogwater" when I tried it last year. It was my first bad barrel-aged stout. (The Bourbon Barrel Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Company was my second.)
    Not a fan if the bluegrass brewing stout myself.

Mike

Connoisseur

"Dogwater"...good one. Like you, it was my first really bad barrel aged stout.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Finishing my last bottle of SA Winter Lager. As in years past, I have enjoyed drinking this one over the Winter months. Though I'll look, I don't expect to find much more, because to my surprise, I saw a display for the Alpine Spring seasonal at the store the other day. Mid-January? Really, y'all? At this rate, we're going to see the four major SA Seasonals released just twice per year...Strictly on the principle of the thing, I will not drink the Alpine Spring until March 1...or a 72 degree sunny day in latish February...I never said my principles were unassailable...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

A little Bell's Two Hearted Ale this evening. One of my all-time favorite beers.

Enthusiast

Finally (after all of a week or so) downed my first FW Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout this eve. (They just released this and two other sixers in Chicago.)

Silky smooth goodness in a glass.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

Finally (after all of a week or so) downed my first FW Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout this eve. (They just released this and two other sixers in Chicago.)

Silky smooth goodness in a glass.
    The Velvet Merlin is an excellent beer.

I went with the Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary tonight. These guys have mastered the barrel aging and blending process. I don't think any other brewery is doing what they do and FW is on top of their game IMO. I also got some Double Jack the other day that was 6 days old. Yet another excellent brew from FW.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    The Velvet Merlin is an excellent beer.

I went with the Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary tonight. These guys have mastered the barrel aging and blending process. I don't think any other brewery is doing what they do and FW is on top of their game IMO. I also got some Double Jack the other day that was 6 days old. Yet another excellent brew from FW.
    Have you had Velvet Merkin, the barrel-aged Merlin? Outstanding. I only had a sip of it at FOBAB, but look forward to the promised wider distro this year (though I don't know if it will be bottled). I'm a huge fan of the FW anniversary beers (gotta love a beer that comes with the beer equivalent of an MSDS), Abacus/Sucaba and Parabola. Got a few of each squirreled away in the basement laundry room, er, "cellar."