Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quite the exotic collection! Even have some Cantillon Fou' Foune and what looks like a Drei Fonteinen Oude Gueze in the mix!

Did you get the Cantillon here in the US?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

The Cantillon was purchased here. The Geuze Tilquin was the only bottle bought overseas. I had not had that one before and it was excellent.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    The Cantillon was purchased here. The Geuze Tilquin was the only bottle bought overseas. I had not had that one before and it was excellent.
    Didn't see that one. Haven't had it either.

Where did the Cantillon come from? I never see it in my area.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

I had a few beers with a few friends tonight
    WTF is Jamal the Elder??!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Some Bell's Hopslam this afternoon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    1. If something bad happens, drink in an attempt to forget.
    2. If something good happens, drink in order to celebrate.
    3. And if nothing happens, drink, to make something happen.
    Charles Bukowski

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    WTF is Jamal the Elder??!
    I probably shouldn't have had that one in there. Ha ha. It's a home brewer's different little take on Pliny.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

Where did the Cantillon come from? I never see it in my area.

Shelton Brothers distributes it and I would guess it comes through three or four times a year. It's probably harder to get than PVW is. It used to sit around and then all of sudden it exploded in popularity. Whenever it comes to town there is a frenzy and it sells out immediately and never sees the shelf. Having good friends in the industry is the only reason I get any at this point. Track down who gets the Shelton orders in your area and go in and start talking to the beer guy there. Slip him a sample bottle of some kind of good whiskey as a good measure. I've never met a beer guy that didn't appreciate that gesture.

Guru

Shelton Brothers distributes it and I would guess it comes through three or four times a year. It's probably harder to get than PVW is. It used to sit around and then all of sudden it exploded in popularity. Whenever it comes to town there is a frenzy and it sells out immediately and never sees the shelf. Having good friends in the industry is the only reason I get any at this point. Track down who gets the Shelton orders in your area and go in and start talking to the beer guy there. Slip him a sample bottle of some kind of good whiskey as a good measure. I've never met a beer guy that didn't appreciate that gesture.
    Oh, believe me I have worked over my local beer and whiskey suppliers! I am just not sure any ever gets out to the sticks here in Atlanta. Had to go to Belgium to get the few I have. Speaking of which I need to crack one open soon.

Enthusiast

I just had a bomber of the same, one that I sought out based upon your recommendation here. I thought it was ok, but I won't be going back to it. The hops are nice, but it's just too boozy for me. 9.5% just isn't necessary, unless you hide the ABV well. This has that bottomless well of sweet thing going on that demonstrates a lack of grace IMO.

Then when I looked at the label and saw it was made with wheat, I liked it even less. I'm glad that I was able to get an impression without knowing that it was a wheat beer (tell the truth, the label says 20% wheat, but I don't know how much wheat is usually used in wheat beers), because I avoid them as a rule. The hops were tasty here, but for me, the beer is excessive.
    Now I better understand your fondness for Daisy Cutter, which I find to be dry and in need of some sweetness.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Guru

Then when I looked at the label and saw it was made with wheat, I liked it even less. I'm glad that I was able to get an impression without knowing that it was a wheat beer (tell the truth, the label says 20% wheat, but I don't know how much wheat is usually used in wheat beers), because I avoid them as a rule.
    Why do you have an aversion to wheat beer? You're missing out on a lot, my friend. A world without Aventinus is a world not worth living in.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet