Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Wheat makes for a delightful Summer brew, I think it's the banana/clove notes that get me.

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Why do you have an aversion to wheat beer? You're missing out on a lot, my friend. A world without Aventinus is a world not worth living in.
    I think Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is another worth drinking.
    Jim

I've been on a massive IPA kick lately. I've been getting some fresh bottles from Lawsons Finest (Vermont) and Alpine (southern California). After having tried thousands of different beers I can confidently state that, to my palate, these are the two best brewers of IPAs right now, with a slight edge going to Lawsons. Alpine is probably a bit easier to get (but you have to be local or have a local source) as Lawsons sells out very quickly. Try 'em if you can! I'm finishing a bottle of Alpine Nelson right now.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wheatfield View Post
    Lawsons sells out very quickly. Try 'em if you can! I'm finishing a bottle of Alpine Nelson right now.
    Glad to see The Prohibition Pig is serving up some Lawson's. We hope to visit VT and ME with a few Boston-based friends next year and will certainly seek it out. And bring back many many cans of Heady Topper....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

A Hopslam to end a long day. I'll probably need to go buy one or two more 6 packs of this before they are all gone.

Guru

Not long ago I noticed Geary's products (Maine) on the shelves at Binny's. I'm not sure how long they've been available here in Chicago but I used to drink them with some regularity in the mid-nineties when I lived in New York. I honestly can't remember much about them after all this time but will pick some up today. Any fans of Geary's out there?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Some dim recollections about Geary's, did they have an ale at one time?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Wheat makes for a delightful Summer brew, I think it's the banana/clove notes that get me.
    Weiss beers are indeed very refreshing in the summer months. I'm partial to the ultra-cloudy hefeweizen-type wheat beers and would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite, as there are so many greats ones. I think we tend to drink the beers from Schneider and Weihenstephaner the most I suppose but you can't go wrong with Paulaner, Franziskaner, Hacker-Pschorr, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I think Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is another worth drinking.
    I've seen that around but have never tried it, I don't think. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of American Wheat beers, as they are too dialed down (by design) for my tastes. Having said that, I've consumed more bottles of Bell's Oberon than I could ever count, so I know there are great American ones out there. I wonder why American micros don't produce many hefeweizens too.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

I know there are great American ones out there. I wonder why American micros don't produce many hefeweizens too.
    I'm quite partial to New Glarus's Dancing Man Wheat and Ebel's Weiss from Two Brothers as American hefeweizens go. The version that the Emmett's brew pubs produce is also surprisingly good.

The Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a nicely hopped American pale wheat ale that tastes like Oberon on PEDs. I'm partial to Anchor Summer Beer during the warm months -- makes for some great shandies when mixed 2:1 with some sparkling limonata. Just a few more months....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of American Wheat beers, as they are too dialed down (by design) for my tastes. Having said that, I've consumed more bottles of Bell's Oberon than I could ever count, so I know there are great American ones out there. I wonder why American micros don't produce many hefeweizens too.
    This pretty well describes my feelings about American Wheat beers. I think it's ultimately a good thing, I know more than a handful of microbrew drinkers whose gateway to the world of good beer was one of the dialed-down American style Wheat beers. (Man I keep wanting to type "wheater").
    Jim