Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    I guess thats why I am such a big fan of Against the Grain since they rarely brew the same beer twice. They stay within some set "styles" (Session, malt, hop, dark, smoke plus whim and experimental). There are some places that get quite gimmicky and call it innovation (Dogfish Im looking at you)..
    There seem to be two competing mindsets among beer enthusiasts. There's a camp that has an idealized version of a particular beer style in mind and then judges a specific beer according to how well it matches the criteria for this style. And there's another that's more interested in just how far off the range a brewery can take a beer -- not necessarily through gimmickry, though there's certainly some of that, but just through using particular hop and malt varieties in different proportions to head toward "extreme" territory.

The former seems to me more about craft (trying to "nail" a particular style) while the ladder seems more about art (going off into some interesting and, yes, potentially offputting places). I certainly appreciate the craft, but I'm definitely more intrigued by the art.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    The history of beers in the US vs Germany are quite different. The big boys have ruled american brewing for 75 years. They have done everything to keep beer boring (and have been successful until the last 15 years).

My understanding is that beer in germany is still very regional. You drink what is made close to you even if what is made close is very similar to what is made on the other side of the country. From afar I picture a huge "tastes great vs less filling" commercial except with more players than just Bud/Miller.

I still enjoy my bourbon neat and the way it was when it came out of the barrel. I am not a fan of the different finishes and methods of quicker aging (staves etc). I also rarely drink the same bourbon two nights in a row. But i love innovation in beer.

I guess thats why I am such a big fan of Against the Grain since they rarely brew the same beer twice. They stay within some set "styles" (Session, malt, hop, dark, smoke plus whim and experimental). There are some places that get quite gimmicky and call it innovation (Dogfish Im looking at you)..
    I'm not one of these dudes that stay just by there national beers. I really like to taste different stuff. I love polish, cech beers, belgian beers, spanish, and the US stuff too, but it is very hard to get here. In Germany you can buy beers (in a good supermarket) from all regions. The wheat-beers from Bavaria are common nationwide, just for an example. But, yes, there are some specials that are brewed just regionally, and they stay regionally, mostly. Like the breweries in small towns, like in the link I posted in the answer before: It is a city of 35 000 population and has a brewery that produces 5 different beers. I'm not against craft beer. I understand "craft beer" more as a movement against big mainstream breweries, different styles, even very old styles of beer. I just can't understand these experiments. Why has a beer to taste like coffee? I just don't get it ;-)

My knowledge about bourbon isn't very deep, I have to admit. It is hard to find a decent store that sells more than OGD, and all books about the theme are written in english, which is hard to read. Plus bourbon isn't big in Germany, they all drink Single Malts because they think it is super-individualistic and fancy. But I do have a certain idea about drinking bourbon, and I think this has to be ( I admit this quite frankly) very cliche. It's almost like a mindset, and I do think more about the choice of bourbon, than I think about beer.

This is the main reason, why I'm here on this site: Learn about different things, gettin' knowledge, stay opend minded. Great!
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stiffchainey View Post
    Kölsch has a lot of variations. Reißdorf, Peters and Mühlen are more on the sweeter side, whereas Gaffel, Gilden, Sion are more on the stronger side (taste-wise). I mean, there are so much different Kölsch-brands, and they do taste differently. I mean, yes, you can actually distinguish a Kölsch from an Alt, but I personally can distinguish the different brands from each other. Plus, it is a big difference, if you drink from tap or "Pittermännche" (which is a 5 liter ceg), or from a bottle. Really a big difference! You need to drink it from the original 0.2 l "Stangen", the small glasses. This is the real thing.

PS: My fave Kölsch is Peters. Sold in small 0.33 l bottles, really good stuff. But here is a brewery in Cologne, like a micro-brewery, and they do Kölsch the really traditional style, plus the kitchen is original "rheinisch", lots of very delicious stuff. If you ever visit Cologne, this is a must see:

http://www.paeffgen-koelsch.de/

It is right in the old red light district, easy access.
    The first Kolsch I ever had was Reissdorf and I still love it. A German friend gave me a set of the small glasses too which I still use all the time. They are quite unusual by American standards and very nice for beer drinking. I honestly don't see many German-made Kolsch beers on the American market but hope to try Peters some day.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Starting off the night with some Dogfish Head 90 minute IIPA with dinner.

Connoisseur

In an IPA mood myself. 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA. Great beer and one of the best looking cans I've seen.

Connoisseur

Keeping the IPA train rolling...Nugget Nectar tonight. Malty, citrus, sweet bitter goodness.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

I'll join in. A Uinta Hop Notch IPA, newly available in cans. Straight from the brewery and very fresh. May every beer be available in cans someday.
    Jim

Enthusiast

I'm usually in an IPA mood, my favorites being Sam Adams Lattitude 48 and, if I'm going all out, Southern Tier's Unearthly Pale Ale.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Tradition dictates Mrssmokinjoe and I head out for lunch on the opening Thursday of the NCAA tourney. So sitting here watching NCAA's and working my first Mother Earth Dk Cloud Dunkle. Mich ST and Valpo tied 8-8. Love this opening weekend!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

I think I will bring home a Struise Pannepot tonight. Might follow it up with a Great Lakes Alchemy Hour...