Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

This is hands down the best beer that I have had from this brewery. It's a black IPA that has nice molasses and chocolate undertones part with fresh and clean citrus and pine hops...yummy!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Virtuoso

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

I finally got my hands on a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Wasn't disappointed.

Enthusiast

St. Bernardus Christmas ale....this is tasty!

Guru

Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely. My first reaction was that it reminded me of Paulaner Salvator or something else along the lines of doppelbock. But that wasn't quite it. Then I thought of barleywine or some kind of high octane Scotch ale, but that didn't seem quite right either. And then suddenly it came to me...Sam Adams Triple Bock, an experimental release from the mid-nineties that tasted like...(wait for it) freakin' soy sauce! That was it! Of course, as soon as I uttered the words "soy sauce" everyone else in the room picked up on the flavor due to the power of suggestion. But I stand by my assessment that this particular batch tasted like shit. I've had others in the line that I loved but this one just didn't do it for any of us which amounted to $30 down the drain. Bummer!
    Last edited by unclebunk; 01-03-2013 at 08:43.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely. My first reaction was that it reminded me of Paulaner Salvator or something else along the lines of doppelbock. But that wasn't quite it. Then I thought of barleywine or some kind of high octane Scotch ale, but that didn't seem quite right either. And then suddenly it came to me...Sam Adams Triple Bock, an experimental release from the mid-nineties that tasted like...(wait for it) freakin' soy sauce! That was it! Of course, as soon as I uttered the words "soy sauce" everyone else in the room picked up on the flavor due to the power of suggestion. But I stand by my assessment that this particular batch tasted like shit. I've had others in the line that I loved but this one just didn't do it for any of us which amounted to $30 down the drain. Bummer!
    Why, you no-account son of a....

Can I ask where the growler came from? (Leo's?) Could be a line issue or something that fouled up the works. Only one of the most recent 50 reviews of GI BCBCS on Beer Advocate mention a soy sauce flavor. I can't say I noticed any such note the one time that I had this year's batch on tap. (But that was at the brewery itself with the brewmaster, so it may have been a "honey keg." )

Now if it was barrel-aged Dark Lord, or any Dark Lord for that matter, the soy sauce thing would make a ton of sense.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

I just wanna say that I am so glad I have no interest in craft beers - the craft beer craze is nuts and I intend to stay away. Have at it, boys!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    I just wanna say that I am so glad I have no interest in craft beers - the craft beer craze is nuts and I intend to stay away. Have at it, boys!
    Ha! Yeah, because there aren't any parallels to the current bourbon scene....
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Virtuoso

Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely.
    I had my first BCBCS over the weekend, from a '12 bomber, and I was not as taken with it as I am by the '12 BCBS. Too much ground coffee bitterness for me, similar to what I get from espresso covered chocolate, which I usually love, but it was just too spread out over the whole body and finish. I have a couple other bottles that I'll hold on to for a few years; I think they might be delicious two years from now.

I definitely didn't get any soy sauce though. Sounds like something was wrong with your growler!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Can I ask where the growler came from? (Leo's?) Could be a line issue or something that fouled up the works. Only one of the most recent 50 reviews of GI BCBCS on Beer Advocate mention a soy sauce flavor...Now if it was barrel-aged Dark Lord, or any Dark Lord for that matter, the soy sauce thing would make a ton of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I had my first BCBCS over the weekend, from a '12 bomber, and I was not as taken with it as I am by the '12 BCBS. Too much ground coffee bitterness for me, similar to what I get from espresso covered chocolate, which I usually love, but it was just too spread out over the whole body and finish. I have a couple other bottles that I'll hold on to for a few years; I think they might be delicious two years from now.

I definitely didn't get any soy sauce though. Sounds like something was wrong with your growler!
    Yes, Steve. It was from Leo's and they may have a problem with their lines. If it's still on tap, I'm going to ask for a sample to consume in the store and see if I get the same reaction. If not, maybe it was the growler itself which I rather doubt. There's only one way to find out!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I finally got my hands on a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Wasn't disappointed.
    Good stuff. Definitely a sipping beer or to be shared with a friend or two. I like it after it's warmed up a bit. The flavors really start to come out

I remember that Sam Adams triple bock crap! Back then they were pretty much the only game in town (Nationally.) People knock them now as if they were Bud or something, but they still make some decent beers.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll steer clear of this stuff then.