Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Re: What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

We routinely have 2 ATG beers on tap for growler fills at my store. I know those guys well. They rarely brew the same beer twice. Bo&Luke is unbelievable, truly a world class barrel aged beer.

I had a dark horse plead the fifth imperial stout. Would love to try the barrel aged version.

Apprentice

3F dreddnaught. Very good

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    We routinely have 2 ATG beers on tap for growler fills at my store. I know those guys well. They rarely brew the same beer twice. Bo&Luke is unbelievable, truly a world class barrel aged beer.

I had a dark horse plead the fifth imperial stout. Would love to try the barrel aged version.
    If you manage to have some of the Bo & Luke on tap during Sampler weekend I would definitely make the trip over from Bardstown, I imagine that a couple growlers of that would go over pretty well at the cookout.
    Jim

Guru

Oh good idea. It's routinely available in Lex, so I'll keep an eye out as well.

Will see what I can do when next batch is released. Since its a colab with de molen, much if it heads overseas. Not to mention its a beer they would prefer to see served by the drink. If I did get it on tap, it would be a 1/6bbl and I would have to limit it to 1 fill per person.

Disciple

What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Will see what I can do when next batch is released. Since its a colab with de molen, much if it heads overseas. Not to mention its a beer they would prefer to see served by the drink. If I did get it on tap, it would be a 1/6bbl and I would have to limit it to 1 fill per person.
    Hmmmmmm.... maybe you could just bring the 1/6bbl keg to the Sampler cookout ;-) No better folks to drink it by the drink than the SB.com crowd, after all.
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 03-19-2013 at 20:09.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Went to a fantastic tasting Tuesday eve at a local gourmet market -- they had a tap takeover featuring six beers from Chicago's three-year-old Revolution Brewing Company. They offered a nice flight of all six (4 ounces or so of each), which were the Moby The Great White Ale (a nice new wit); Samadhi Double IPA; Mean Gene, a BBA version of their Eugene Porter; Bean Gene, a BBA version of their Eugene Porter with coffee; Straight Jacket, a BBA version of their Institutionalized barleywine; and the Third-Year, a barleywine aged in rum barrels. I pretty much preferred them in the order listed, though Bean Gene may have been the overall winner for the evening. The Genes may have also been the first barrel-aged porters to really wow me.

I love drinking local!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

I stand corrected. My beer experience is from the American craft scene and mostly Belgians on the import side. German styles tend to get the cold shoulder in favor of hybrid styles. To relate it to wine, the German/English styles are old world where most American craft breweries are firmly new world.
    I know. I have tasted different craft beers, as it is getting popular here in Germany, too. They had beers with nut or coffee flavour. Not my thing. Why? When I want to drink a beer, I want to drink a beer, that tastes like beer. I mean, I do not dislike this stuff, and after all, there was a big craft scene in Germany before the Purity Law (Beer with herbs and fruits had a long tradition here), but you are totally right, most Germans and most german breweries are conservative as hell, and I like it this way. The hybrid styles are not for my, beer and bourbon-wise I am totally oldschool.

PS: We do have a lot of small breweries with an own recipe of brewing beer, (like this one directly in my hometown: http://www.siegburger-brauhaus.de/), which you could label "craft beer", but they would never label themselves like this.
    Last edited by stiffchainey; 03-20-2013 at 07:42.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Guru

Sven you're fortunate to live in a place with such a tradition of highest quality brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by stiffchainey View Post
    I know. I have tasted different craft beers, as it is getting popular here in Germany, too. They had beers with nut or coffee flavour. Not my thing. Why? When I want to drink a beer, I want to drink a beer, that tastes like beer. I mean, I do not dislike this stuff, and after all, there was a big craft scene in Germany before the Purity Law (Beer with herbs and fruits had a long tradition here), but you are totally right, most Germans and most german breweries are conservative as hell, and I like it this way. The hybrid styles are not for my, beer and bourbon-wise I am totally oldschool.

PS: We do have a lot of small breweries with an own recipe of brewing beer, (like this one directly in my hometown: http://www.siegburger-brauhaus.de/), which you could label "craft beer", but they would never label themselves like this.
    The history of beers in the US vs Germany are quite different. The big boys have ruled american brewing for 75 years. They have done everything to keep beer boring (and have been successful until the last 15 years).

My understanding is that beer in germany is still very regional. You drink what is made close to you even if what is made close is very similar to what is made on the other side of the country. From afar I picture a huge "tastes great vs less filling" commercial except with more players than just Bud/Miller.

I still enjoy my bourbon neat and the way it was when it came out of the barrel. I am not a fan of the different finishes and methods of quicker aging (staves etc). I also rarely drink the same bourbon two nights in a row. But i love innovation in beer.

I guess thats why I am such a big fan of Against the Grain since they rarely brew the same beer twice. They stay within some set "styles" (Session, malt, hop, dark, smoke plus whim and experimental). There are some places that get quite gimmicky and call it innovation (Dogfish Im looking at you)..