Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: The Rebirth of Rye Whiskey

I suspect you're more than barely right.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It has been impressed on me in no uncertain terms by both the BF and HH folks that BF is not continuing to produce the same rye it made for HH. But it has also been strongly hinted that BF is producing rye and will introduce a rye at some point. I'm also assured that the rye they're making now at Woodford is not the same as the rye they made at Woodford for the Masters Collection, as they are committed to keeping those as one-offs. The idea is that they might learn something from a MC that they'll apply to a later line extension, but it won't be exactly the same. As for whether or not some future Woodford rye will be a mixture of Woodford and BF whiskey, I wouldn't assume one or the other. Just as likely, to my mind, would be a super-premium (i.e., expensive) all-Woodford rye and a more popular-priced BF rye. They might even be different recipes, whereas Woodford and BF's Old Forester are the same recipe.

The standard Woodford wasn't originally intended to evolve as it did. The original intention was to swith from BF-made to Woodford-made when the Woodford-made came of age, but by then the brand was already selling more than Woodford alone could support and since BF was (and still is) operating well below capacity, the system was implemented where Distiller's Select will always be some of each, though not necessarily 50-50. The MC is all Woodford and always has been.

Despite all of the publicity, 3-4 days a year is still about what all the distilleries are devoting to rye production.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-02-2013 at 13:05.

Guru

Thanks Chuck, that's good to hear. A BF/Forester Rye is a thing devoutly to be wished.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Based on the couple of WR's that were released as all-Versailles whiskey (one was a 4-grain IIRC), I doubt that whiskey would sell well at the age it is currently being bottled as a mingling with Louisville-made bourbon. It is a pretty strong and emphatic taste, and I think the mingling approach suits it well. It may not have been the original intention, but it has worked out for the best IMO. That said, I would enjoy trying the Versailles production on its own at an older age, 8-12 years say. Hopefully one day a LE will be released of such bourbon. In other words I believe an alembic pot still approach can work well on its own but that it likely needs more time.

Gary

Connoisseur

Just wondering. If B-F had it to do over, would they have still installed those pots? Or would they have installed a more traditional yet smaller bourbon production plant with a traditional beer still?

Disciple

The Rebirth of Rye Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Just wondering. If B-F had it to do over, would they have still installed those pots? Or would they have installed a more traditional yet smaller bourbon production plant with a traditional beer still?
    I would have to say they see it as a success. They sell the bourbon and the distillery is a successful tourist attraction. They haven't captured the hearts of the enthusiast crowd... But then, I don't really think B-F cares too much about that.

But if they do: cask strength, 10 year old OF at a reasonable price, please
    Jim

Guru

With a really cool label like the Early Times 150th edition.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

They very much consider it a success. I can't think of anything they would have done differently. One of these days they're going to double down on it, installing another identical three-pot system.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good question Tom. I think the small production/pot still has gotten them a lot of traction, and good for them. As for the actual taste of the aged make on its own (I've had it in various formats including a bottle produced for Bourbons Bistro in Louisville and the aforesaid Four Grain, plus you can taste it quite clearly in regular WR), I don't consider it an improvement on their regular column still bourbon. To the contrary in fact. However the mingling works well to minimize, and yet showcase as something distinctive, that strong pot still taste. We must remember that they choose to bottle a mingling at 5-6 years old, is my understanding. Even factoring the new-charred barrel and the different climate, that's not very long when compared to the typical age of a good malt in Scotland or Ireland. I believe the waxy-like notes would turn into something more interesting with a few more years in wood. However, clearly what they have done has worked for them.

Gary

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

If I missed it here, please forgive me, but does anyone know if the white dog from the Woodford stills have that signature taste profile? I would guess that it would certainly have to, and be quite unique to any other WD.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama