Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: 2012 Bourbon of the Year---and other shout-outs...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    I though it might be interesting to weigh in on this as a bourbon neophyte. 2012 marked my entrance into the serious world of bourbon. These awards listed below are certainly my personal preferences as far as what I have tried, and what has influenced me as I started my journey with this wonderful spirit.

Best Bourbon I tried this year: Pappy Van Winkle 15 (2008). This one really opened my eyes to what a great wheated bourbon can be. I was able to purchase several bottles in the Van Winkle line up this fall, but none of them held the overall magic of what I tasted in this bottle.

Best Bourbon I purchased this year: This one is a tie for me between Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 18yr (batch 17), and Van Winkle Lot "B". Some may be surprised by the Lot "B" shout out but I love this bourbon. The dark fruity nature and balanced oak qualities really set this apart for me as far as what I was able to purchase, and that includes a nod over the PVW 20 I also got.

The One Bourbon that shocked me and changed my perception of what bourbon can be: Four Roses Single Barrel. This one really blew me away when I tried it. So different from everything else I tried this year. Like a syrup candy bomb with unique floral and spice notes that had my head spinning on every sip. What a unique and well crafted whiskey.

Distillery of the Year: For me, this goes to Heaven Hill based on two products; Elijah Craig and Evan Williams Single Barrel. To discover two bourbons of such a high standard that I can purchase any time I like, and for a reasonable price, sets this one apart for me.

Special Bourbon Award for 2012: I want to give special mention to the one bourbon that started it all for me this year - Bookers. I purchased a bottle for my boss for his birthday earlier this year and we sat down and had a few glasses. Up until this point the only bourbons I had really ever tried were a few standards like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. One sip of Bookers and my mind was blown. So rich and powerful. Wow! Still one of my favorite pours after purchasing so many other brands. A bottle will always be on my shelf.

Best Bourbon Resource for Beginners (or anyone for that matter): Again, a tie for me between Jayson Pyle's sourmashmanifesto.com and the forums here at straighbourbon.com. I relied heavily on Jayson's reviews as I started purchasing various bottles, a well written site with thoughtful reviews. This forum here has also been so beneficial. I have started to develop a few relationships with some very knowledgeable members here, and the endless threads on various products and topics have been a joy to explore. I have gained a ton of knowledge and insight into the world of bourbon through everyone here and I thank you all.
    Crowes, not only is it "interesting to weigh in on this as a bourbon neophyte", it's absolutely at the heart of what this site is all about. It's all about the journey, from the beginning to total bourbon geekdom! If we can't hear about what's going on from those getting started and early on in the journey, and just blabber among long-time supposed "expert" participants, it simply becomes an echo chamber. How boring would that be?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Well said Crowes and thanks for the input. It's an exciting journey shared by a lot of us and fortunately we can get together here to share our experiences.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The Most Trustworthy and Forthcoming Guy in the Biz: Jim Rutledge
    Couldn't agree more Thad! Was glad to get to meet him at the All-Star Sampler at KBF!

Think my votes fall in line with many others, outside of my "foreign" preference

Bourbon of the Year: 2012 PHC (kicking myself for not buying a bottle when I had the chance!)

Best New Standard Release Bottling: Larceny (great value - especially with the intro rebates! HW Campfire comes in a close 2nd!)

Best Distillery: Buffalo Trace (if someone told me I could only have 5 bottles to drink for the rest of my life, three would be from BTAC hands down). If I'm judging based on the tour/visitor center, I'd have to go with HH (although I haven't seen the new Beam center yet).

Best Foreign Whiskey: Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength (what can I say - I love smokey peat! My runner-up though would be Balvenie 21 yr Portwood)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    I though it might be interesting to weigh in on this as a bourbon neophyte. 2012 marked my entrance into the serious world of bourbon. These awards listed below are certainly my personal preferences as far as what I have tried, and what has influenced me as I started my journey with this wonderful spirit.

Best Bourbon Resource for Beginners (or anyone for that matter): Again, a tie for me between Jayson Pyle's sourmashmanifesto.com and the forums here at straighbourbon.com. I relied heavily on Jayson's reviews as I started purchasing various bottles, a well written site with thoughtful reviews. This forum here has also been so beneficial. I have started to develop a few relationships with some very knowledgeable members here, and the endless threads on various products and topics have been a joy to explore. I have gained a ton of knowledge and insight into the world of bourbon through everyone here and I thank you all.
    Great post, man! My journey started this year as well and I've come a long way thanks to resources like SB.com and all its members as well others out there on the web. Cheers everyone.

Virtuoso

Bourbon of the year for me: WLW 2012
    2nd: 17 year gift shop FRSB
    Poor mans 17 yr gift shop is the 2012 FRSmB

Standard release: I'm going with the SB BLEND. I never tire of it

Distilery of the year: it starts with a 4

Bourbonian: that's easy: joe

Best whiskey discontinued this year: HW 21 year rye
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Disciple

2012 Bourbon of the Year---and other shout-outs...

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Best whiskey discontinued this year: HW 21 year rye
    I didn't know this was discontinued but I checked the HW website and it says it is now a Park City only bottle. It is still available in quantity in virtually every liquor store around here; when I see the stocks start dwindling, it's going to be hard not to buy at least a 375.
    Jim

Bourbon Of Humchan's year: PHC 132 proof, no question

Best dusty find of the year:
    The '67 and '68 Old Fitz 2x Gallon bottles I found

Best Micro product I tried: Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye, give it a try.

Best Rye Of The Year: Rittenhouse, cuz it's the single best rye buy on the planet and I drank more of it than any other bottle

Most overpriced whiskey of the year: Whistlepig. $80 for a 10 year rye.....really?

Distillery - BT

Brand of the year - Highwest. The 36th Amendment is a revelation.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Bourbon of the Year: Four Roses Single Barrel! Yes, the regular FRSB. This bourbon breaks the rules. Its NAS and yet possibly the most consistent out there. Keep it up! I'm not giving it to PHC'12 because, while it is outstanding, when I add water all I get is EWB. In my opinion its only good because its high proof... I just think they can do better with this whiskey. I'm not giving it to any FR LE's because I didn't have any.

Best New Release: Larceny. I love this stuff.

Biggest dissapointment:
    anything with 95% rye in it.

Bourbonian of the Year I second the nomination for BarrelChar. I'll give Wade runner up for the Ebay thing, but BC is the winner!
    I take back every bad thing I said about PHC 2012. Had a pour last night and it blew me away. I'll just have to give FR Distillery of the Year.

Enthusiast

Bourbon of the Year: Not new, but the best bourbon I had this year was WT Tradition.
    Distillery of the Year: BT (BTAC and PVW)
    Deal of the Year: Two 750ml bottles of High West 21 Yr Rye that were (mis)priced at $39.99 each at a local liquor store.
    -SOB-

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    Bourbon of the Year: Not new, but the best bourbon I had this year was WT Tradition.
    Distillery of the Year: BT (BTAC and PVW)
    Deal of the Year: Two 750ml bottles of High West 21 Yr Rye that were (mis)priced at $39.99 each at a local liquor store.
    High West 21 @ $40 I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face during check out,Wow!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski