Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: 2012 Bourbon of the Year---and other shout-outs...

My biggest shout-out goes to the members of the forum.

Thank all of you for the knowledge and generosity that it shared amongst all here, without some of the amazing members that are present, both past and present, this site would not be what it has become.

I'd especially like to thank the MN guys, I sincerely appreciate the information sharing that you guys give to to non-cities based dude.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'll state my choices less "formally" since I haven't had notably Larceny, PHC 2012 or EC 20 yet, or HW Campfire, but the best bourbon I bought was Triple AAA (great balance and softness with an old-fashioned creosote note) with a Lot B close second (elegant, clean, brandy-like); best tasted was a 17 year 4RSB, the anniversary one from 2 years ago (pure and clean red fruit and rich taste - how does the gift shop one differ by the way?); best rye was Masterson's, pricy it's true as WhistlePig is but aged rye is at a premium these days; best distillery was 4R, with HH close second; most disappointing distillery was WT (I agree with those who found the new 81 most wanting); and most improved distillery was JD, whose honeyed expression has made a splash and whose regular line just gets better every year.

I'd give general points to the craft industry for trying - keep on keeping on guys but you are not there yet, not for what I tasted. I'll take one mature four year old bourbon or rye that can be compared to, say Old Forester 100 proof or YL, does any meet that standard? If so I'll look for it next time in the States. But I do think it's just a question of time, quite literally.

Greatest contribution to the revival of bourbon and its traditions and family of drinks: www.straightbourbon.com. The depth of knowledge and commitment here is amazing.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-30-2012 at 05:55.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I'll state my choices less "formally" since I haven't had notably Larceny, PHC 2012 or EC 20 yet, or HW Campfire, but the best bourbon I bought was Triple AAA (great balance and softness with an old-fashioned creosote note) with a Lot B close second (elegant, clean, brandy-like); best tasted was a 17 year 4RSB, the anniversary one from 2 years ago (pure and clean red fruit and rich taste - how does the gift shop one differ by the way?); best rye was Masterson's, pricy it's true as WhistlePig is but aged rye is at a premium these days; best distillery was 4R, with HH close second; most disappointing distillery was WT (I agree with those who found the new 81 most wanting); and most improved distillery was JD, whose honeyed expression has made a splash and whose regular line just gets better every year.

I'd give general points to the craft industry for trying - keep on keeping on guys but you are not there yet, not for what I tasted. I'll take one mature four year old bourbon or rye that can be compared to, say Old Forester 100 proof or YL, does any meet that standard? If so I'll look for it next time in the States. But I do think it's just a question of time, quite literally.

Greatest contribution to the revival of bourbon and its traditions and family of drinks: www.straightbourbon.com. The depth of knowledge and commitment here is amazing.

Gary
    As usual. Gary... very well said. Next time you are coming down to No KY, send me a PM: I'd love to get have a pour or two with you to fill the gaps.

BTW. your assessement of Masterson's rye was spot on!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Thank you John. It was almost a certainty that I would fly into Cincinnati but at the last minute, we changed it to Louisville for reasons I won't detain you with now. This means we won't be in your area unfortunately, but can you not come down to Sampler this year? The GN still has rooms! I'll be there from the Thursday through to Sunday, with my friend Rick Radell from Toronto. Please try if you can, but I appreciate the invitation.

Gary

Connoisseur

Bourbon of the Year is too subjective for me to offer an opinion.

However, a end O' year shout out goes to the SB community and the educational information shared regarding the brown liquid we all enjoy and have in common. Happy 2013!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Enthusiast

In my opinion Buffalo Trace wins it with Stagg, Weller, and Handy. They hit homeruns with all three mashbills this year and it seems to be a trendline for BT with these releases. The richness and depth of the barrel proof BTACs is hard to compete with in my opinion. Their consistency of quality is also worth mentioning.

My Four Roses vote easily goes to the 17.5 year gift shop bottle. It is the best 4R I have ever had. I believe its contribution to the Mariage this year is what made that bottle special. I personally feel 4R really shines in the extra aged category and hope to see more of it down the road.

Virtuoso

With the intensity of school increasing considerably over the past year I haven't had the opportunity to investigate many new bottles, but the best one I've had has to be PHC '12. That one has a little bit of everything going on and does it all so well. Runners-up honors go to CEHT Tornado and '12 GTS.
    As for best new everyday bottle, the only one I can recall is Larceny so it gets the award by default. My REAL choice, however, would be the many OWA single-barrel selections I've tried over the past year. If only I could bring them all home! BT should just make OWA a single barrel like EWSB and highlight a different profile every year 'cause there's some amazing stuff to be had there!
    For distillery of the year, it's a toss-up for me between BT and FR. They're both doing some amazing things. More BT bottles make their way onto my shelf, but I think that's probably due to availability/price.
    Saddest realization - that I got into WT too late. I opened a bottle of '04 WTKS that I absolutely love, but now I'm afraid to buy anything newer after reading the reports here of the distillery's decline. I'll just have to keep my eye out for WT dusties and snap them up whenever possible.
    SB gets the nod for best community. The folks here are just the best, most welcoming, and generous bunch of people anywhere. Can't wait to see everyone again in April!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Thank you John. It was almost a certainty that I would fly into Cincinnati but at the last minute, we changed it to Louisville for reasons I won't detain you with now. This means we won't be in your area unfortunately, but can you not come down to Sampler this year? The GN still has rooms! I'll be there from the Thursday through to Sunday, with my friend Rick Radell from Toronto. Please try if you can, but I appreciate the invitation.

Gary
    I will be there.... see you at the Gazeebo.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Okay great!

Gary

Advanced Taster

I haven't had enough of the new 2012 releases to judge them. The best bourbon that was new to me this year was the Bowman 18. To me its as good as Stagg, VW, FR limited editions, etc. I'll give distillery of the year to Heaven Hill. HH brings great quality and value at all shelf tiers. I can go get a bottle of EW black, EC12, or EWSB anytime I want and I know it will be good and won't crush my pocketbook. I think many take for granted how good EWSB is year in and year out. At the high end, the PHC is both innovative and delicious,a difficult combination. The VOB BIB deserves some kind of award as well. I recently got a bottle and was blown away by the quality to price ratio. After one drink I immediately regretting not buying every bottle I saw. I'll give it biggest regret.

I don't have a most disappointing distillery. I'm sure WT81 sucks, but I figure its not a release targeted at me, kinda like all the 'maple black cherry bacon honey' bottles. 101 still tastes good to me. I was drinking Hi-C Ecto Cooler in the 80's though, so I can't compare it to the WT from days of yore.