Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Please allow me to introduce myself

New to StraightBourbon but not new to bourbon. I AM new to good bourbon hence my presence here. I'm in VA, in fact a native. My last name is Bowman but before anyone asks, no I am not related, AFAIK, to any Bowman making money on bourbon. Although back in the 30's probably some relatives were producing and selling whiskey, but I doubt the time it took to get it from Powhatan to Richmond, even then, allowed it to age enough to qualify as bourbon. I'm old enough now to believe that life is too short for schwag bourbon. I am anxious to learn more. I've had Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Jack Daniels No.7 (although I think that is Tennessee whiskey and not bourbon), Wild Turkey 101 and currently enjoying, as in as I'm typing this, John J. Bowman Single Barrel. I plan on learning to ascend from those.

Novice

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm pretty new to SB myself, but welcome.

One thing I've learned from the good people on this forum is to not overlook the items at price points lower than what I have already tried and enjoyed. I'm learning a lot and tasting a lot of good bourbon at different dollar amounts. I hope you experience the same.

Guru

Please allow me to introduce myself

Welcome indeed - I appreciate your notion about life being too short. Looking forward to your contributions here.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the forum. You'll find many kind people willing to give feedback and recommendations here.

Disciple

Welcome. I'll echo the sentiment that price and quality are not always linear. Since you've got WT101 on the list, I'd suggest you try some of their other releases (Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve, Kentucky Spirit all under $45) and try to fet a feel for WHY you like what you like. That can save a lot of time (and money) down the road.

Guru

Hello Stick, welcome aboard. I think the best way to get grounded in Bourbon is to acquire a representative example of the basic house styles such as Very Old Barton, Evan Williams black label, Old Forester, Old Grand Dad, Jim Beam Black (not the doublewood), Four Roses yellow label, Buffalo Trace, and we'll leave the Ryes for later. By comparing these you will get an understanding of what makes up the differences between brands quicker than random buying and an added bonus is each of these bottles retail for less than $20.

Virtuoso

Assuming you a man of wealth and taste. What's puzzling me is the nature of your game. Any stones fans here?
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Assuming you a man of wealth and taste. What's puzzling me is the nature of your game. Any stones fans here?
    I was going to reply: I'm a man of wealth and taste.

I was in the 9th grade when the British Invasion hit the states. I had fabulous music during high school and college. 40+ years later I still enjoy listening to a wide variety of music from that era.

I must admit it's best when my wife is out and I can play Let it Bleed loud as instructed on the album. A long past girlfriend loved that album and it brings back memories of the past. Learned some life skills listening to it.

Stick, Welcome to SB. enjoy. Will

Virtuoso

I recognize you... your were the guy shouting out "Who killed the Kennedys?"

Your right of course - life is too short to spend much time with skanky whiskey. Keep us posted on your explorations.