Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Threaded View

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

When the original Michter's was operating, it produced something called Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey.

This was, to my best recollection, 50% corn, the rest mostly rye with some barley malt. It was apparently 6 years old and generally aged in new charred oak although some reports state that reused barrels were sometimes employed for aging.

Michael Jackson gave it high marks in his landmark World Guide To Whisky, published in the late 1980's.

He called it "gingery" (this was the rye hit surely) and "delightful". I've had some here and there over the years and it was great, like a soft melding of a straight bourbon and rye.

A full page ad in the last New York Times Sunday magazine announces the release of a whiskey of this name. The label on the bottle pictured states Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey. I can't see an age statement on the bottle, but you can't see the reverse side of course. It is 86 proof, which is the proof of the original IIRC.

In the lower corner of the page, the producer is called "Michter's American Whiskey Company Kentucky", so clearly it is connected to the company which has been marketing the other Michter expressions in recent years. Presumably the make is sourced in Kentucky.

Taste notes will be appreciated, until I can get my hands on some.

Personally, I like the various releases from the current Michter's outfit, which has no connection to the original Michter's business if I understand correctly what I've read about it other than owning the Michter's trade mark. Those products (variously aged bourbon and rye, and a non-straight American Whiskey) were all good, especially the 10 year old rye, but this is the first time I believe that an attempt has been made to offer a taste similar to what Michter's of Pennsylvania last produced for retail purchase under that brand name (i.e., excepting whiskey produced for the bulk market which it apparently did from time to time include the legendary Hirsch 16 and 20 year old bourbons). The reason I say that is the ad copy states that the brand is being released "for the first time in 23 years", so I'd guess some attempt was made to get at the same palate. This will be interesting.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-27-2012 at 04:15.